Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:11 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Volunteers Help Take Care Of "Too Many Blueberries!"
« previous next »
: [1]
: Volunteers Help Take Care Of "Too Many Blueberries!"  ( 2701 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 15, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »

Pure Livin' Blueberry Farm of Fletcher, Vermont had a "problem"-- too many blueberries! 2013 was a banner year for blueberry crops around the state, and Sean and Pat Breen, the owners of the 650 plant all-natural blueberry farm just couldn't get them picked fast enough.  After several busy weekends of “pick your own blueberries” and many berry sales, these part-time berry farmers had harvested all they wanted.  Yet beautiful blueberries kept appearing in the bushes.  “How can we make good use of this delicious abundance?” they wondered.  Before long, they came up with a solution--donate them.

But still...how could they pick all of the ripe berries before they spoiled?  Sean and Pat are busy professionals who spend much of their summer tending 40 gorgeous acres in Fletcher, overlooking Mt. Mansfield.  Sean is an alternative energy consultant and Pat is an elementary teacher at BFA Fairfax. When she reached out to her BFA colleagues, volunteers organized in no time.

In a few short hours on August 13, BFA Fairfax students, family, and friends  picked more than 90 lbs. of blueberries. This crop was then quickly distributed to the Community Action Food Shelf, Tim's House (formerly Martha's Kitchen), and some were even set aside for BFA Fairfax students to enjoy when they return to school.

Many hands make light (and delicious) work.

Berry Picking Fun

Pat Breen weighing the berries

Some of the 90 pounds of berries

Student Volunteers

Henry Raymond
khort
: 149

« #1 : August 15, 2013, 12:29:05 PM »

What a nice gesture that so many will get to enjoy!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: