Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:13:35 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Options for local tv channels without Comcast
« previous next »
: [1]
: Options for local tv channels without Comcast  ( 5056 )
wwiihistory
: 56

« : August 04, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »

Looking to pull the plug on comcast tv but keep the internet to start using either an Apple TV or Roku box.  I want to have local channels including PBS for the kids. I purchased a TERK omnidirectional indoor antenna and placed upstairs but receive absolutely nothing (country pantry area).

Not wanting satellite.

Any suggestions?
Barbara
: 270

« #1 : August 05, 2013, 05:03:19 AM »

I have a Radio Shack antenna on the roof of my garage and with it receive all the channels I need. 
The inside antenna I tried did not capture any channels for me either. 
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : August 05, 2013, 05:47:48 AM »

If you have an older TV that only receives analog signals you will need to get a digital converter for over the air reception.  I haven't heard of anyone having much luck with indoor antennas.

Henry Raymond
fletchtb
: 310

« #3 : August 05, 2013, 05:50:15 AM »

How old is your tv? Does it have a built in digital tuner? If not, you won't receive any over the air programming no matter what kind of antenna you use. You would need a digital converter box in that case.

We use this antenna https://store.gomohu.com/the-leaf-ultimate-hdtv-antenna.html

Before we got this antenna, I was getting a decent signal from an amplified antenna like the Terk you bought. We get all the networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, and PBS). We live near the church in binghamville. I would be surprised if you couldn't pick up any signal where you live.
« : August 05, 2013, 06:05:29 AM fletchtb »
wwiihistory
: 56

« #4 : August 05, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »

I forgot to mention: LCD tvs, 2007 for 2 of them, 2012 on the 3rd.

There is an external antenna on our building (of multiple units) but it is on the opposite end of building & i dont see any wiring to our unit.

Guess comcast has limited basic covering local channels only but they have encrypted the signal so you still need boxes & a monthly charge.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #5 : August 05, 2013, 08:51:57 AM »

i get 12 channels through the digital converter box:
4 PBS ( 2 duplicate, 1 is callec create, and one is PBS.  they're 33.1, 33.2, 33.3, 33.4)
2 Fox ( one's CW)
2 WCAX ( one's a strict loop of weather and short new boradcasts)
2 CBS ( one is actually a movie/ old show kinda channel)
2 NBC ( dups)

they all come in great.  Sometimes i need to move the antenna i have a little.  The antenna is a flat 10" by 10" Radio shack antenna.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
JoeT
: 100

« #6 : August 05, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »

If I may suggest a web page from VPT regarding over the air reception (full disclosure, VPT is my place of employment).

http://vpt.org/broadcast

You should have a pretty decent signal over in the area of the 'Pantry.
Make sure the UHF part of the antenna is pointed toward Mount Mansfield - that's where all of the Burlington stations come from.

Regards,
Joe Tymecki

: [1]  
« previous next »
: