Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:44:42 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Don't Pick Those Pretty Yellow Flowers - Bad News
« previous next »
: [1]
: Don't Pick Those Pretty Yellow Flowers - Bad News  ( 6531 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 23, 2009, 08:16:02 AM »

There's a plant cropping up all over Vermont that may look pretty but packs an evil punch.

It's called wild parsnip and it looks like Queen Anne's Lace except with yellow flowers. The Burlington Free Press reports it's showing up on roadsides, fields and other sunny areas. Even though it's everywhere, do not try to pick it up. Broken leaves and stems from the plant release a sap that, when exposed to sunlight on the skin, causes a burning irritation and blisters that leave long-lasting scars.
If the sap gets on your skin wash it immediately and keep cold compresses on it. If you plan to weed it off your land, wear long clothing and gloves and try to do it when the sun isn't out.

Click on the following link for the Burlington Free Press Photo & Story:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200990722039
« : July 23, 2009, 09:35:44 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
cedarman
: 370

« #1 : July 24, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »

I had some blisters/rash earlier this spring.  I had been pulling these weeds from our garden without knowing what they were.  I thought the rash was from some poison ivy or something, but I was sure I didn't get into any.   I'm glad I know now what it was. 

I quickly implemented wearing of a long sleeve shirt and gloves when pulling weeds in the garden - long before seeing this article.  Now, I know why it worked.

Good luck to all of those trying to erradicate these plants in the chemical free way!
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #2 : June 26, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »

I just pulled up all of these I could find around our yard.  Be very careful with them.  My wife works in a doctors office and they had a patient with a bad case, and it took months for them to recover.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : June 27, 2013, 08:39:55 AM »

These are very invasive and can take over a field quite quickly.  I had some and I dead-headed all of them, and had the soil scraped and new put down in hopes of eliminating them, but alas, they have returned.  They are very hard to control and, as I said, can take over if you're not careful. And yes, I got some blisters from them.

Thanks for the post!
trussell
: 870

« #4 : June 27, 2013, 08:43:03 AM »

Is burning an effective method of destroying it?

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : June 27, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »

Control centers on preventing seed set. Physical control via mowing or pulling will successfully prevent seed set and effectively kill the plant.

Wild parsnip is a biennial that ends its life cycle with flowering and seed production. First-year plants will only have leaves coming out of a central crown, just like a carrot.

When working with or around wild parsnip, be sure to wear long pants, long sleeves, and gloves to prevent exposure to the plant sap.

Chemical control is also an option if mowing or cutting is not viable.

The best time to control patches is actually later in the

fall, or early next spring, as this will control the young plants that will flower next year.

Spraying during, or just after, flowering is not very effective, as the dying plants can still produce viable seed.

Glyphosate spot-spraying of individual plants or small patches is effective, but removes all other plants, as well.

A three-way herbicide product containing 2,4-D, dicamba, and mecoprop will usually control it without killing grasses in the area.

For more information about the wild parsnip or any other horticulture issue, contact Reuss or Deb Simons at the Florence County UW Extension office at (715) 732-7510 or toll free at 1-877-884-4408.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #6 : June 27, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »

Thanks Mary Kay.  My efforts were unsuccessful! They are back and look way to healthy.  If you pull them up, why those little bits of root that you left keep on keeping on. They are sturdy, persistent,  and invasive is a polite way to describe them!
janet
: 51

« #7 : June 27, 2013, 07:19:10 PM »

Is there someway you can post this article and picture on Facebook...we think our grandson and some of his friends may have gotten into these recently and it did leave a rash which lasted well over a week. Very itchy also if this is what caused it.  Saw a lot  of these on 104A today!
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #8 : June 27, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »

Link to this thread is now on your Facebook page Janet!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: