Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:06 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  School Brass Overrides Students' Speaker Pick
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: School Brass Overrides Students' Speaker Pick  ( 30182 )
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #15 : June 14, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »

Some key and valid points have been made here.  One can choose to not let things get them down - sure, but when does trying to not stress over things that appear or that you're told you cannot change become complacency?  HOW will anyone ever know what issues are truly at hand or brewing under the service if they cannot see and are kept from seeing what those issues are?  Trust is earned, and as of late there's been too many instances where any sort of truth has been withheld due to the 'Confidential' excuse. 
I know of at least 2 instances in the past 4 years where parent's concerns and/or protests have been dismissed by this so-called confidentiality excuse.  When it comes to school administration, there is no recourse, no appeal process in which to contest decision-making, let alone full-disclosure of rationale or criteria for the decisions made.  There's a point where trust wears thin and the multiple examples start to create suspicion.

From what I've seen in the past 4 years on this forum and in my personal experiences, there is good reason to be weary of and concerned by the veil of confidentiality that permeates anything of questionable nature when it comes to adminstrative decision making.  How would the citizens even know if the claim of confidentiality is being abused, overused, or has been misinterpreted and theredfore misused?

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
CindyG
: 19

« #16 : June 14, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »

Yes, we have a high participation rate in extracurricular activities.  But that is far from the whole story.  And it doesn't make our test scores rise. And obviously hasn't.  Check it for yourself. 

I feel like the kids are treated as potential perpetrators rather than kids that make mistakes and need support and guidance.   When I went to BFA many years ago, kids that needed help got if and an effort was made to keep them in school, not remove them at the first opportunity.  That's the difference between Dick Brown and Michael Clark.

CMS42
: 5

"The answer to life, the universe, and everything"

« #17 : June 15, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »

Considering the number of people viewing this article and the general tone of the responses thus far, it would be a truly fantastic thing if the public would follow the suggestion of one member's post: come together as a community at some type of public forum, such as the school board meetings. These are typically poorly attended, and yet so many people feel out of touch with what is going on in our school and with our school leadership.

It is one thing to feel strongly about something that happens in our community; it is a different matter entirely to actually stand up and DO something about it. Perhaps if enough of us come together, the school board and administration will take notice. At the very least it may give them pause.

I hope that everyone who has concerns about this or any other matter in our school  will come to the next public Fairfax school board meeting on Wednesday, August 7th from 12-5 pm in the BFA Fairfax FACS room. I sincerely hope to see you there.
cedarman
: 370

« #18 : June 17, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »

School board meeting: Wednesday from Noon to 5 pm.   What a convenient way to discourage attendance, especially in a "bedroom community" like ours.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #19 : June 17, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »

School board meeting: Wednesday from Noon to 5 pm.   What a convenient way to discourage attendance, especially in a "bedroom community" like ours.

LOL if I was on Welfare I would be there!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #20 : June 17, 2013, 01:55:21 PM »

or if you were a senior citizen and retired; or if you were a teenager without a job, or if you were a stay at home mother; or if you worked part time; or if you were on holiday; or if it was your day off.......
katrinaantonovich
: 162

« #21 : June 17, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »

I'm not commenting on the issue here - I just wanted to point out - at the last school board meeting - which was in the evening of monday the 10th - I was the ONLY member of the public there. There were others there to see about issues addressed but all are school employees. There were some key issues to be discussed and I wanted to hear and have my say.
ohhman
: 469

« #22 : June 18, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »

Geez, since this is within walking distance, maybe I should pack up all my little munchkins, lunches, nap mats, all their needs, & attend; bet it'd be such a productive meeting then!  Now that I have none of my own in the school, it may be the time to take time & go!! 
nhibbard
: 393

« #23 : June 18, 2013, 04:51:07 PM »

Sameis true of Selectboard meetings. Most of the times no one else showed. If you have strong feelings, you can send in a letter to the Board.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #24 : June 19, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »

or if you were a senior citizen and retired; or if you were a teenager without a job, or if you were a stay at home mother; or if you worked part time; or if you were on holiday; or if it was your day off.......

Or if Butterflies had machine guns........ The birds wouldn't eat them????  FACT is Noon - 5 pm in the middle of the week isn't the best time to have a meeting that people can attend.  What if the Teenager without a job doesn't have a car??? Which if I didn't have a job as a teenager I sure as hell wouldn't have had a car...  Who is going to bring them?  Stay at home mothers.... My mom was a stay at home mother with 6 kids, how would she going to attend?  who would watch the kids? Senior citizens and Retired persons most likely do not have children that are still in school, so why would they attend?  If you fit into the other small group then yes you would be able to go, but like I said before the time is not even a little bit convenient

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
trussell
: 870

« #25 : June 19, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »

I'm not up on my state statutes, but is there a way for the voters enact an ordinance as to when public meetings are allowed to occur?  Remember- as long as the red tape is followed correctly the townspeople are the ones that ultimately have the final say, not the superintendent, school board, select board, town clerk, or any one person.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #26 : June 19, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »

of course the time is inconvenient, that goes without saying.....
nhibbard
: 393

« #27 : June 19, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »

I like Trevor's idea. We'll add no Executive Sessions as well.
lena6
: 357

« #28 : June 19, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »

I do not believe in Executive Sessions.  To me they are trying to hide things.  Yes I know, if it was about me would I want God and everyone know.  If it was bad enough for Executive Session it rots to be me. God and everyone should know.  How many whacks am I going to get for this.  Go ahead, I have  big shoulders.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #29 : June 19, 2013, 07:22:45 PM »

Hi Henry,
I know I am not a registered user but I see a lot of discussion about school board meeting times under School Brass overrides Student Voice. 
The issue seems to be the meeting time...but they are quoting the board retreat time, not the scheduled meeting.  Would you clarify by sharing the following from the board's website and meeting minutes/agenda:

Schedule of Upcoming Meetings

BOARD RETREAT: Wednesday, August 7th from 12-5pm at BFA Fairfax FACS Room

REGULAR MEETING: Monday, August 12th at 6:30pm, Fairfax Community Library

FWSU BOARD MEETING: Wednesday, September 18th at 6:30pm, FWSU Office

Most frequently they meet the second week of the month on Mondays at 6:30. 

Henry Raymond
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
: