Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:46:53 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  perpetual garage sale...
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: perpetual garage sale...  ( 17150 )
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #15 : April 24, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »

That area has had numerous car accidents due to low visability around the corner and over the bridge. Drivers should not have to also worry about dodging multiple cars parked half in the road. That is why businesses have parking lots. I care less about him having a business without permits, and more about the traffic hazards created by his location and parking of his customers...
ohhman
: 469

« #16 : May 01, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »

Almost sounds like a "catch 22" situation;  zoning says it falls on landlords' responsibility BUT are there any zoning laws to go by??? So does that mean that all renters can do what they want unless their landlord say otherwise??  Stop pushing it back & forth & town step up & say the renter is the one doing the business so shut him down!!  I was just told by a friend a car had stopped there & the driver flung open the door to get out as a car was going by & had to swerve to miss hitting the door!  An accident waiting to happen!!
nhibbard
: 393

« #17 : May 01, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »

I think what they meant was the owner faces the penalty.
ohhman
: 469

« #18 : May 02, 2013, 07:34:02 AM »

Well I think it's just a pass off by the town.  But if it's anything like what neighbors put up with the boarding house on Main st., the owners have a long time before they have to worry.  Maybe the state can get involved since I bet this guy has no permits for this business; wonder if he pays sales tax??  But once again, if the state does do anything, no need to worry for awhile!
mrome
: 37

« #19 : May 06, 2013, 07:48:38 AM »

There are different issues here. There may be both local and state issues to look at here. Is the use of the land in line with local ordinances? Is he operating a business that is not registered with the state? Is he paying state business and sales taxes? It is not solely a town issue and we can't expect the town to respond to issues not within their purview. Maybe someone who is truly bothered by this enterprise would make a formal complaint to the agency/entity that has the responsibility to regulate the activity. It may be the State Dept of Taxes as well as local zoning. Maybe more, I really don't know. Talking with the individual, and then making a formal complaint is the route that may be most likely to result in change.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #20 : May 07, 2013, 05:33:09 AM »

I hope this issue is resolved.
The interested parties have been contacted.
It should not be open again.
If anyone sees it open, please call me.
My concern was traffic safety.
All credit goes to Fairfax's Zoning Administrator Skip Taylor.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
lena6
: 357

« #21 : May 07, 2013, 08:23:43 AM »

It was open Monday when I came home from work.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #22 : May 07, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »

I think he meant as of today Lena. ~MK

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #23 : May 07, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »

Thanks chris and skip. Hopefully this prevents an easily avoided accident in that area.
mirjo
: 785

« #24 : May 08, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »

What is the actual infraction Chris? The parking hazard? Or is there some ordinance against running a lawn sale more than one weekend? There are a number of elderly people who do this sort of thing to provide extra income for themselves. Mr. Jones is in a good and bad spot.

What I'm hearing here, from a handful of people is that they don't agree with what he's been doing (for as long as I can recall), so the way to handle it is to complain to the right authority and get rid of the problem. Other than parking being a hazard right there, I'm not sure I see what this guy is doing wrong. a lot of junk on his front lawn all the time, that doesn't go away, running a business and not paying fees of some sort--what would those be?

Someone with authority and knowledge of these things, please answer, as I'm interested in knowing. Thanks in advance.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #25 : May 08, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »

I received the following message from Skip Taylor, Zoning Administrator:

Hi Henry,

The most recently adopted Zoning Regulations allow garage sales up to six days per year without a permit.  More than six days per year falls into the retail category.  Retail operations require approval by the Fairfax Development Review Board prior to obtaining a Zoning Permit.  When this was brought to the attention of the property owner, he spoke to the tenant who agreed to cease operation.

Skip
« : May 08, 2013, 07:07:59 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #26 : May 08, 2013, 11:54:34 PM »

Thanks Henry.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: