Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:56:12 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Announcements
| | |-+  Richard Westman Letter
« previous next »
: [1]
: Richard Westman Letter  ( 2754 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : April 25, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »

Rich Westman Letter to Editor

I am a candidate for the Vermont Electric Cooperative Board. This is why I am running.
My family has belonged to VEC from the beginning.  In fact, my grandmother bought an electric washer ten months before the Coop started in 1938, excited about not carting clothes to town just to get the laundry done.  Once electricity came to the farm, George Aiken, who championed coops, may have “owned” her vote, but she also felt she owned a piece of the Coop.
Local ownership distinguishes rural electric cooperatives. We are just not rate-payers; we are member-owners.  We have a voice in how things are run, and as a VEC Board member, members will have my ear. 
Folks who know me from the Vermont House and as Lamoille County’s Senator know I am always open to suggestions and new ideas.  They also know I study the issues, which in today’s electric utility environment are much more complex than they were when my grandmother first plugged in that washer. 
Here is how I believe I can help. 
Affordability is important.  I’ll do what I learned growing up on the family farm: Keep an eagle eye on costs. While VEC has not raised rates in three years, we cannot take the future for granted because we do not have exclusive control over what drives costs. 
Understanding power generation, therefore, is essential.  Having once worked at VEC, I understand how we put together the right mix of dependable and affordable power sources. 
Knowing Vermont’s complicated regulatory and legislative processes is also a plus.  For instance, Vermont’s push for renewables is desirable, but unless it is incorporates conservation, it can actually drive up costs.  I will encourage regulatory rules that are fair, practical and environmentally sensitive.
These are some of the ways I can help VEC, but I won’t forget individuals.  When our farm lost power, which was a big deal, we always knew whom to call.  As your Board member, you’ll always be able to call me.  (802.644.2297 or rawestman@gmail.com)
(Information on voting, including online voting, can be found at http://www.vermontelectric.coop/75th-election)

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: