Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:09:11 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Library Announcements
| | |-+  April Book Discussion: Russell Baker's Growing Up
« previous next »
: [1]
: April Book Discussion: Russell Baker's Growing Up  ( 2707 )
LibraryPrograms
: 363

« : March 14, 2013, 01:32:55 PM »

Please join us for the third meeting of our Memorable Memoirs reading group at the library on April 11 at 6:30 pm. For this session, we’ll be discussing Russell Baker’s powerful memoir, Growing Up. Helene Lang, a scholar of literature, will facilitate the discussion. All are welcome. Copies of this read are still available- pick yours up at the library today!

From the New York Times:
''Growing Up'' is touching and funny, a hopeless muddle of sadness and laughter that bears a suspicious resemblance to real life....Like all the best humor, Mr. Baker's is grounded in truth and mellowed by a sense of the sadness in things.... His laughs are distilled from the juices of life. He draws from a time and a world very much in the American grain: memories of listening to grown-ups rocking on the porch and sonorously reciting cliches or of Depression evenings in Baltimore spent around the kitchen table with endless talk and cups of coffee. -- Richard Lingeman

--
Nicole Vance - Program Planner
Fairfax Community Library
75 Hunt St.
Fairfax, VT 05454
(802) 849-2420
libraryprograms@fwsu.org
Find us on Facebook!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: