Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:42:46 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Smart Meters Arrive in Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1]
: Smart Meters Arrive in Fairfax  ( 4745 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : February 21, 2013, 12:57:33 PM »

Smart Meters are currently being installed in Fairfax, replacing existing meters on your homes and businesses.

Your power will be interrupted briefly while the transition occurs.

You are not obligated to accept the meters.

I will get more info as quickly as possible and post it here.

Feel free to call me at 782-0406 with questions.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : February 21, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

I am on Vt Elec Coop and we have had smart meters for some to time now.  Interesting how Vt Electric's main concern was to bring Electric Power to those who did not have power in 1938/1939 and now they are ahead of those companies who chose to bring power to communities instead of over hills and through pastures to Rural Homes.

Henry Raymond
ohhman
: 469

« #2 : February 21, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »

so is this why the lights just went out? or a power surge?
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : February 21, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »

The following was sent to me by Chris Santee to post for him:

GMP Smart Grid Initiative

Smart Grid Overview
•   Installing sensors and two way communication tools throughout the system, giving us more information to manage the flow of power more precisely in line with demand. 
•   Allows us to provide the power reliability and consistent power quality that 21st century businesses and homes require. 
•   More precise management saves time and reduces the cost of identifying and repairing problems.

Smart Grid in VT
•   VT utilities have been exploring these upgrades for 6+ years – but could not make financial case. 
•   2009 ARRA “stimulus” grant covering 50% of start-up made upgrades economically feasible.
•   Unique statewide approach across almost all VT electric utilities. 
•   Three year project includes: 1.) Grid Automation and 2.) Advanced Meters throughout the system

Benefits of Grid Automation
•   The benefits of putting sensors and communication devices throughout system include:
o   Reliability - spot problems sooner, respond faster, re-route power around problem.
o   Power quality – able to even out the dips and surges that can damage sensitive equipment
o   Environmental – upgrades allow easier/more integration of local renewable generation; advanced meters means customers can be rewarded for using less electricity when demand is high and generation is expensive and dirty.
o   Cost – automated readings reduce time and travel associated with personal meter reading; information about outages saves expensive/dangerous crew time looking for problem; even voltage means equipment lasts longer.

Advanced Meters
•   There is more to Smart Grid than meters, but meters are the part of Smart Grid that brings concrete benefits down to customer level.
•   Getting a meter is optional; but the vast majority (over 95%) of our customers are having the new meters installed and are looking forward to the benefits.
o   Customer benefit: automatic reporting of outage. Especially good if you are on vacation when the power goes out.
o   Customer benefit: access to information to understand and manage electric use better
o   Customer benefit: future opportunities to take advantage of incentive rates by shifting certain chores to off peak hours when electricity will be cheaper
•   GMP is more than halfway through installing new meters on all customer homes and business; wrap up in early 2013

Meter Technology
•   The radio in the new meter meets FCC guidelines and is similar to devices such as baby monitors, walkie-talkies, garage door openers, Wi-Fi routers, microwave ovens, cordless phones, cell phones.  The same wireless technology is installed in newer cars to make sure that your tires are properly balanced and inflated. 
•   GMP meters are configured to transmit 4 times per day under ordinary circumstances, for less than a minute a day.  Compare this to the length of time people use their phones or wi-fi.
Meter Safety
•   GMP has a long standing commitment to safety, and is proud of its track record. Safety is a priority in all of our practices and all of our equipment choices, and the Elster meters we chose are no exception.
•   An international working group of the World Health Organization has reviewed 25,000 studies and concluded:
“Current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low-level electromagnetic fields.”
“In spite of the feeling of some people that more research needs to be done, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals”
Privacy
•   GMP agrees that customer privacy is a core value.  We already have people whose job is to ensure that customer information is private. 
•   We have never, and will never provide data to a third party without customer authorization or court order.
•   Security is a challenge whenever personal information is shared wirelessly – whether for medical records, banking records, on-line shopping, web-browsing, or phone call data.
•   Because it is a deep concern, VT utilities are working closely with industry experts and federal agencies to ensure that private information remains private.

Cost Savings
•   Oklahoma Gas and Electric study: “98% of customers with smart meters were able to reduce their bill without sacrificing comfort”
•   Washington DC “Power Cents” initiative tested different incentive rates – 93% of customers said they preferred this over flat rate pricing.
•   In Vermont there is a study with 750 low-income customers to learn how Smart Meters affect these households.  Results will be used to help design beneficial rates.

Henry Raymond
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #4 : February 21, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »

Thank you, Henry, you're the best !

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
nhibbard
: 393

« #5 : February 21, 2013, 07:30:55 PM »

I can't wait. I want the website where I can see my hourly usage. I think people might be surprised how much power is used by electronics in standby.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #6 : February 22, 2013, 06:31:47 AM »

Very true Nick.  I unplug chargers, gaming systems, even my toaster oven when not in use. It all adds up!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
lena6
: 357

« #7 : February 22, 2013, 08:16:38 AM »

That must be why my heat was off all night.  Thank you GMP.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: