Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:58 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Should Vt Seniors Face Stricter License Renewal Rules
« previous next »
: [1]
: Should Vt Seniors Face Stricter License Renewal Rules  ( 7215 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 19, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »

As I am about to turn 80 years old, this does weigh on me a bit as perhaps one of the biggest threats to independence out here in the country is the loss of ones license and the inability to get around.  Click on the following link to view a segment done by WCAX Channel 3:

http://www.wcax.com/story/21235625/should-vt-seniors-face-stricter-license-renewal-rules

Henry Raymond
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : February 19, 2013, 03:14:30 PM »

as long as they quit honking their horn at me cause i drive so slow
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #2 : February 22, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »

How about they focus on the budget Rep. Allison Clark and not taking more rights away from Vermonters.  Is this their theme this year? Guns, driving, seriously.....

Oh, but wait, if you are an illegal alien, we will hook you up with a license. <sigh>

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
ohhman
: 469

« #3 : February 22, 2013, 02:28:42 PM »

Oh & let's not forget them trying to decide on a state vegetable...REALLY?????????????         
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #4 : February 22, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »

ok now we`re on  a roll bash the politian ,can I play?
nhibbard
: 393

« #5 : February 22, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »

there are just as many bad young drivers as old I'm sure. wouldn't hurt to do some testing on license renewals.
Trekr
: 140

« #6 : February 22, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »

How many senior drivers have been observed texting?
CLach
: 98

« #7 : February 24, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »

I think it's unfair to discriminate against the young as I do the elderly.  Not all follow the same habits, it's an individual thing.  Saying it's only the young that text and drive is like saying that it's only the elderly that hit the wrong pedal and drive thru storefront windows.  I think it's the family and friends responsibility to identify an issue with any driver whether they be young, old or middle aged.  My two cents...thank you Henry for allowing our opinions here ;)
Trekr
: 140

« #8 : February 24, 2013, 05:32:18 PM »

Good point Lach. Just my attempt at being funny
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #9 : February 25, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »

Taking a test at 16 and taking a test at 80 are two different things in my opinion.  Most elderly drivers reduce their type of driving as I have seen over the years. Most stop driving in the city when it is something they are not comfortable with.  They may only drive in the local area or to just St. Albans so they can get food and necessities.  I say the majority of people/family do make the decision when they feel it is necessary. But forcing someone out of a license when they clearly are safe within their own limitations is wrong. 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
cedarman
: 370

« #10 : March 11, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

Legal age discrimination occurs every day, every where in the US in the name of public interest or public safety (or whatever politicians/public officials deem it necessary for).  IF you have any doubt about this, ask anyone in the 18-20 yr old category.
Some seniors take it upon themselves to not drive anymore because they know they can't do so safely, and they have family around to help them with appointments, groceries, etc.   Sometimes, family members continue to let a senior parent drive beyond the point at which he/she can safely do so for a variety of reason (not wanting to commit to helping them get around, being in denial, not wanting to offend the parent, etc).  Some seniors continue to drive because they don't feel they have anyone they can rely on for help, or they don't want to bother someone by asking for help.

I am NOT advocating for age related revocation of one's legal blessing to drive.  I think there should be periodic retesting of drivers of all ages (yes, I know it's another expense people don't want).  However, IF the point of issuing a license to a driver is to try to ensure a basic level of safe operation then periodic skills testing for all ages should be mandatory regardless of how people change the areas in which they drive - even lower risk rural areas have the potential for vehicle/vehicle, or vehicle/pedestrian collisions.  Maybe it would be a 10 year reassessment until 55, then a 5 year reassessment after that.

Like others have expressed, I appreciate that we can have an open discussion on this topic here.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: