Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:11:09 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Another Interesting Bill: Workplace Bullying
« previous next »
: [1]
: Another Interesting Bill: Workplace Bullying  ( 11067 )
Watchman
: 47

« : February 10, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »

Here is a link to a bill in the Vermont Legislature to prevent bullying and abusive behavior in the workplace  http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2014/BILLS/INTRO/S-034.pdf. I'm new to the forum and I'm wondering what people think.
« : February 10, 2013, 05:10:40 PM Henry »
tfence
: 257

« #1 : February 10, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »

this has to be a joke. Are they serious. Why would anybody own a business. This would leave it wide open to be sued by upset employees.

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
tfence

« #2 : February 10, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »

on a side note. Why is OK for the union to bully?

Watchman
: 47

« #3 : February 10, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »

I wonder if a bill like this would have afforded Julie Filiberti some protection in her experiences during the fall months.
ohhman
: 469

« #4 : February 11, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »

Unfortunately, I bet our school leaders would have found a loop hole in regards to Julie;  I still stand firm in my belief: THEIR loss for losing Julie!
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #5 : February 12, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »

on a side note. Why is OK for the union to bully?

How does a bullying bill affect employers if they aren't bullying Tom?  As with any entity - if they're using 'indentified' means of intimidation, cohersion, or influence then they'd be on the hook for such activities... key word is 'identified' I myself know not every industy has defined and identified means of bullying, and even less employers have this outlined.

Still I'd hope legislators are smart enough to explore the possibilities of abuse on both sides if they're serious about this.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
tfence

« #6 : February 12, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »

It will add lawyer/legal fees while the business owners are defending their opinions on what is or is not considered bullying. This is an additional liability to a business owner. Like any law regarding employer/employee dispute it is up to the employer to defend themselves. Most companies do not condone bullying and have plans in place to control it. Lawyers will eat these cases up. Insurance companies will charge for additional coverage to insure for bullying. 

Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #7 : February 20, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »

as with any lawsuit - one has to evidence supporting/suggesting 2 things : 1) bad intent and/or 2) bad act.

AGAIN, I'll say that if the law is left at "Bullying is wrong and here's what will happen if it's proven: x,y,z" then i agree - a law so vague would be heart ache for employers and headache for the judiciary.

BUT, if the law is well thought out, outlines what is considered bullying in the workplace..... ( as schools do) and levys the payment for ALL court costs upon the loser ( thus if an employee attempts to smear an employer's reputation, and loses they get to pick up the tab for it) then i don't see it beign a bad motion to have. 

I see behavior bu supervisors or managers in some of my mulitple workplaces that WOULD be considered inappropriate and/or bullying and it makes me very uncomfortable when i'm around it.
If people can't be civil - then we penalize them for it - why not - we do it for everythign else.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #8 : February 20, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »

"as with any lawsuit - one has to evidence supporting/suggesting 2 things : 1) bad intent and/or 2) bad act."

Remember McDonald's Hot Coffee ?

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
tfence

« #9 : February 20, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »

bullying in the work place, you have a choice unlike a kid at school or an industry being bullied by a political administration. If you think you are being bullied at work you have a choice to leave your job and get another one. The work place bullies will soon learn how to behave themselves. They will end up with no employees.  I just don't think we need another law that would tie up company resources that would be better used for developing more employment opportunities. As far as the law being well thought out. That just does not happen. All laws are open for interpretation. Don't get me wrong. I do not condone bullying in the workplace. I would just be worried that a law savy employee would definitly use this law to their advantage. Just like some tenants use laws to stay in apartments rent free.

rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #10 : February 21, 2013, 05:01:31 AM »

just take it up out back and settle it the old way ,why do you always have to get lawyers involed
cedarman
: 370

« #11 : February 21, 2013, 01:02:49 PM »

While I am of the attitude "IF you don't like where you are working, find a new place to work".  I recognize that it is not always that simple for everyone.

For anyone who has seen actions around a work environment that made them uncomfortable, or actions that were obviously malicious, Did you speak to someone at the work place about your observations?

The idea of making employees who file an action under this bill liable for legal expenses if they don't "win" in court, effectively renders this bill pointless (which I kind of feel it is) because employees who are truly in bad work environments wouldn't want to file a report/claim/action due to fear of losing the case and having additional financial burden.

I think there are already sufficient work place/employee protection laws in place now. I think there are bigger issues to focus on then making even more detailed rules to create liability on companies by a broader group of people who are not being substancially "HARMED".
rod anode

« #12 : February 21, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »

Did you speak to someone at the work place about your observations?

no I come here instead ,lol
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #13 : February 25, 2013, 08:11:38 AM »

just take it up out back and settle it the old way ,why do you always have to get lawyers involed

Because our society is full of pussies Ed!!!!!!!!  We would rather cry about it and go run our sucks on the internet about it instead of being a man!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
rod anode

« #14 : February 25, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »

good one josh
: [1]  
« previous next »
: