Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:26:14 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Two Vie For Fairfax Selectboard
« previous next »
: [1]
: Two Vie For Fairfax Selectboard  ( 3908 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 07, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »

The following article was published on the front page of The February 7, 2013 Edition of The St. Albans Messenger

Two vie for board

Candidates see  work to be done
By MICHELLE MONROE
Messenger Staff Writer

FAIRFAX - Two candidates are contending for the Fairfax Selectboard seat being vacated by chair Bob Horr.

The candidates are Leebeth Ann Lemieux, a local realtor, and Nicholas Hibbard, a technology and finance expert with the Burlington Housing Authority.

Lemieux served on the planning commission for eight years and served as president of the Fairfax Business Association.

Hibbard has attended selectboard meetings since he moved to the community in May and said he has many suggestions for using technology to improve communications between town officials and the community.

Hibbard said he and his family moved to Fairfax because they liked the size of the community and because they had friends in the area. "It's a lot like the towns we grew up in New Hampshire," he added.

After nearly a year attending selectboard meetings, Hibbard said he'd like to make it easier for community members to learn about the meetings and what items are on the agenda.

"I feel like people should have a better chance to be involved and know what's happening with their money," he said.

Hibbard has already begun speaking with the current board about a Web site for the town. Local resident Henry Raymond in addition to many other area items of interest, does post such items as contact iriformaion and meeting minutes for the Town of Fairfax on his Web site (www.vtgrandpa.com), but the town does not have its own site.

The town offices are open primarily during traditional business hours, which Hibbard suggested doesn't always fit with the needs of people who work during those hours. A town Web site could make it easier for residents to get information outside of business hours, according to Hibbard.

The town staff is using Yahoo e-mail accounts, which the town has no oversight, explained Hibbard. He would like to see the town have its own e-mail accounts.

"They're doing a lot of stuff to look forward," said Hibbard, citing the town's plans to upgrade technology in its offices and a to shift to wireless water meters. Hibbard is interested in assisting both .of those changes.

Hibbard is also interested in keeping residents apprised of progress on the new town hall.

"They're very welcoming," Hibbard said of Fairfax officials and staff, adding that it was just a question of getting information out to the public.

Lemieux moved to Fairfax in 1984. She decided to run for the selectboard, because she is interested and willing to serve. "I care about the town," said Lemieux. "It's where I live and work."

During her time on the planning commission, Lemieux was involved in two revisions of the 'town plan and by-laws.

The town lacks capacity for additional water and sewer users on its system, said Lemieux when asked about local issues.

She also cited the need to bring the new town offices in with a "decent budget and timely manner."

During 'ber time with the Fairfax Business Association, Lemieux helped to start the holiday tree lighting in Fairfax and still works with the recreation department on the lighting each year.

She also volunteers with the Citizens of Fairfax Community; a group aiming to start a community center in Fairfax.

Henry Raymond
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : February 07, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »

why is bob getting done?I like him
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #2 : February 07, 2013, 09:04:07 PM »

Too bad Bob Horr is leaving the selectboard. From my experience, Bob worked very hard to do the right thing for Fairfax residents. I hope he continues to be involved in some aspect of town government . 
Carolyn Branagan

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: