Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:29 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Article 5 In The Fairfax Town Warning
« previous next »
: [1]
: Article 5 In The Fairfax Town Warning  ( 5481 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 30, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »

TOWN OF FAIRFAX
POBox 27
Fairfax, VT 05454
(802) 849-6111

January 26, 2013

To the Board of Civil Authority:

I hope that you are all staying warm today.

The Town of Fairfax voted in twelve Justice of the Peace at the November 6, 2012 General Election. I talked to Kathy Scheele, Director of Elections at The State of Vermont and she said that the Town of Fairfax needs to have an Article at our March 2, 2013 Town Meeting saying: Shall the registered voters of the Town of Fairfax approve to increase the number of Justice of the Peace from ten to twelve.

Kathy said the Town Moderator is the one that is responsible for everything that goes on at Town Meeting anyway.  I will talk to John Schraven and work with him. You will still be able to work at Town Meeting before the Article is passed as an Election Official. I have written this Article 5 on the 2013 Warning and it will be voted on by the voters on Saturday, March 2, 2013 at Town Meeting. The Justice of the Peace term for you that are incumbents expires on January 31, 2013. You and our new Justice of the Peace will not be able to take the VT Oath of Allegiance and be sworn in until after the Town's people approve Article 5 at Town Meeting. You will be able to serve after the Article is approved and you have taken the VT Oath of Allegiance and have been sworn in. You will then be able to help during Town Meeting and the March 5, 2013 Election as Justice of the Peace.

I apologized for this inconvenience that we have to go through. We are not the only town in Vermont that is dealing with this for this upcoming election". Other towns are also dealing with this same dilemma. I will bring the Vermont Oath of Allegiance forms to Town Meeting for you to fill out after the Article is passed. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact me at 849-6111, extension 2.

I will be in contact with you in February to see who is available to help out at Town Meeting and on Election Day.  For you that are new, can you contact me with your phone numbers and your email address? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

Respectfully,

Deborah Woodward
Town Clerk/Treas.

Henry Raymond
nhibbard
: 393

« #1 : January 30, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »

How'd this happen? I haven't heard anything about it at meetings.
lena6
: 357

« #2 : February 01, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »

Thank you Debbie for being on top of things that go on in our town office. 
trussell
: 870

« #3 : February 01, 2013, 12:44:19 PM »

Nick- This probably happened during one of the "Executive Sessions" that come up whenever the Select Board doesn't want the public to know about stuff. :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
nhibbard
: 393

« #4 : February 01, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »

Oh, one of the legal issues. :)
trussell
: 870

« #5 : February 01, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »

Yes, that's correct.  "Executive Session" can be called whenever something is declared a "legal issue". LOL!

Surely there's something in Roberts Rules of Order regarding that! :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
: [1]  
« previous next »
: