Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:25:03 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  New Local Business Website Coming To Town
« previous next »
: [1]
: New Local Business Website Coming To Town  ( 4260 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 30, 2013, 12:42:58 PM »

PILL BOARD            February 2013

SINCE THE REMOVAL OF PRIMATENE MIST FROM THE MARKET there has been no readily available OTC inhaler for asthma sufferers.  Now with the entry of Asthmanefrin to the market some former Primatene users may think relief is at hand.  Asthmanefrin is free of CFC’s, the propellant that caused the removal of Primatene.  The new inhaler is a battery powered atomizer that releases epinephrine which is shorter acting and less effective than albuterol.  Asthmanephrine is also expensive ($45 for starter and $25 for 30 vials) and high maintenance requiring assembly, daily cleaning and battery replacement.   Vials when opened are only good for 1 day.  A prescription for an albuterol inhaler is about $50 for 200 doses and will last much longer.  Rescue inhalers such as albuterol or epinephrine should be used no more than two days per week.  More frequent use would indicate the need for a visit to the doctor and a controller medication such as an inhaled steroid.

DR. OZ IS AT IT AGAIN PROMOTING A MAGIC WEIGHT LOSS BEAN.  Green coffee extract comes from unroasted coffee beans which is a way to obtain certain substances that are lost in heating. Supplements such as CoffeeGenic Green Coffee Extract and Svetol contain it and in some instances also the caffeine.  Fruit flavored drinks are also being produced with green coffee extract as an ingredient.  Chlorogenic acid, an antioxidant, is thought to be the key component.  There is no magic pill to lose weight.  Slow steady weight loss with monitored caloric intake and exercise is the only tried and true method for success.

DOCTORS WITH HAVE SOME PATIENTS TAKE MORE THAN 81MGS OF ASPIRIN DAILY.  This is usually necessary for patients as a first dose for acute heart attack and a stroke caused by a clot.  Some high risk patients also may be instructed to take 162mg to 325mgs daily. For the majority of patients on aspirin therapy a dose of 81mg daily is effective and safer since the higher doses double the risk of GI bleeds.  Also taking the aspirin twice daily or at a certain time of day does not improve effectiveness.  Once daily at a convenient time is the best.

PATIENTS ON THYROID SUPPLEMENTS SUCH AS LEVOTHYROXINE are told to take the tablet first thing in the morning on an empty stomach an hour before breakfast.  While this is the recommend method it may not be the easiest for the patient.  Turns out it is just as good to take it at bedtime at least four hours after the last meal.  Above all else consistency is the most important consideration that way thyroid monitoring and dosage requirements will be easier to determine.  Patients on bone strengthening agents like alendronate may find bedtime doses of levothyroxine easier to manage.

COMING SOON FAIRFAXPHARMACY.COM

Hopefully by the time this column is published the website will also be. With a mobile app and hopefully a way to order refills and ask questions it will be a work in progress. Comments are encouraged and will be welcomed.

Henry Raymond
nhibbard
: 393

« #1 : January 30, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »

Is this something you're doing Henry? I'm not sure from the post who is behind the site.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : January 31, 2013, 01:02:22 AM »

Rick Hogle sent me this.

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #3 : February 04, 2013, 04:57:40 PM »

It may  have been more clear if he had just stated: "COMING SOON: FAIRFAXPHARMACY.COM, right up front, then there wouldn't be any confusion about who or what.

If people don't read the Fairfax News front to back, they're likely not familiar with Rick's PILL BOARD, drug info column.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: