Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:02 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Stop the union from trying to take over childcare in Vermont
« previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4]
: Stop the union from trying to take over childcare in Vermont  ( 40437 )
ohhman
: 469

« #45 : May 09, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »

Not much reprieve as the union language has been attached to yet another bill!! We received word it apparently it is attached to the Deputy State's Attorney bill!!  These union reps are earning their pay BUT we need to stop them!! Please call the Sgt. at Arms tomorrow & say NO to the union language!!
nhibbard
: 393

« #46 : May 09, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »

Who is the Sgt and what's the number? What bill is it attached to? What is the wording in the new bill?
ohhman

« #47 : May 10, 2013, 07:30:31 AM »

The # to call is 802-828-2228;   our email said it was attached to the Deputy State's Attorney's bill; that's all the info we got as it wasn't expected to be attached to anything so quickly~ it went down in the am attached to the Misc. Ed bill as it wasn't"germane" to that bill.   Apparently the clerks who take the calls did not know it was attached to another bill as they told some people it went down in the am.  All the calls we get really help so thankyou!!
ohhman

« #48 : May 10, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »

A bill allowing deputy state’s attorneys to vote on joining a union is unlikely to pass this legislative session.

Last week, Sen. Dick Sears, chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, requested that the bill lie, citing concerns that his committee doesn’t know enough about pay and working conditions for all attorneys employed by the state.

“We have so many attorneys working in state government, it seems to me. We’d have to take a real good look at that,” said Sears on the floor, before requesting an indefinite postponement of the bill, which the full Senate approved.

But Steve Howard, who lobbies for the state employees’ union, said he expected that legislation will at least clear the Senate this session. After meeting with the Senate Economic Development Committee, the union clarified minor questions from lawmakers, according to Howard.

“A few more senators have just some clarifying questions that we have to sort out, and then we should be OK,” said Howard. He believes the Senate will take up the legislation again this week, but does not expect the House to take it up before adjournment, which Speaker Shap Smith has targeted for Saturday.

The deputy state’s attorney unionization bill is among several labor bills in action this session. Others include legislation regarding “agency” or so-called “fair share fees” and efforts to unionize home health care and child-care workers.

Although this debate has centered heavily on inadequate pay for deputy state’s attorneys, Howard argues there are other issues at stake.

“For the deputies that I’ve spoken to, this is about going forward into the future, knowing that there is an entity here, that’s watching out for them, so that they don’t fall through the cracks again,” he said.

Sen. Philip Baruth, D-Chittenden, explained to his colleagues when he introduced the bill that the public sector deputy prosecutor jobs have suffered from “brain drain.”

Current pay levels for deputy state’s attorneys are “abysmal,” he said. Deputy state’s attorneys make far less than assistant attorneys general and often don’t receive pay raises.

Baruth said the Senate Economic Development Committee heard about a young deputy state’s attorney who works as a waiter in southern Vermont on weekends to make ends meet. She makes more waiting tables than as a deputy state’s attorney, Baruth said.

“What we’re trying to do is address a brain drain in the deputy state’s attorneys. … Often they leave the position because they can’t afford to exist on the salary they’re being paid,” Baruth said.

Posted in News Briefs | Tagged Deputy state's attorneys, legislature, Senate, unionization.

tfence
: 257

« #49 : May 15, 2013, 05:33:37 AM »

We Won!

The legislature has just voted to adjourn for the session, and thankfully we get a few months reprieve before we are back at it again. But for tonight, relish in this victory and be proud of the work you did to protect your independence. I thought this quote was especially fitting tonight:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

I don't necessarily enjoy this journey, but I thank you for being on this journey with me. - Elsa Bosma

Passing the good news on. Thanks Elsa for all you have done. Tom Feerick

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #50 : May 15, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »

YAY!!! So happy for all my friends who work in this field!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
: