Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:17:34 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Please Keep Roads and Driveways Cleared
« previous next »
: [1]
: Please Keep Roads and Driveways Cleared  ( 4779 )
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« : January 02, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »

Fire destroys home in Underhill-Cambridge
Posted: Jan 01, 2013 11:59 PM EST
Updated: Jan 02, 2013 12:00 AM EST
By WCAX News - bio | emailBURLINGTON, Vt. - Firefighters could not save a home on the Cambridge-Underhill town line Tuesday.

A blaze tore through the home on Circling Hawk Road.  The biggest problem -- crews couldn't get equipment to the house.  The road leading to the home wasn't plowed.   Crews used a skidder to clear part of a path -- and had to use ATVs with tracks -- and snowmobiles to haul in water and supplies. They also used snow surrounding the home -- just to keep it from spreading.

"Unfortunately at this time, the structure has burned to the ground.  We were not able to do anything for it. We are just containing the fire and waiting for it to burn out. It's all we can do. It's one of those unfortunate events," explained 2nd Asst. Chief Dan Wyckoff with the Cambridge Fire Department.

No one was hurt in the blaze. The family managed to escape. The cause of the fire is not yet known.

The above story is a sad reality that could strike us at any time here in Fairfax as well.  Both Fairfax Fire and Rescue have been extremly busy over the past week and have noticed plenty of driveways and private roads that fit the description from the fire in Cambridge.  Decisions made by fire officers to either attempt or not attempt a driveway or road are made in real time and are made first for firefighter safety and second for apparatus and town asset preservation in mind.  Please keep your driveways and roadways plowed open as wide as possible and maintained as if your life or home depend on it because in deed it could.

Justin Hayes, CFI
Fire Chief
Fairfax Fire Dept.

al brodeur
: 216

« #1 : January 03, 2013, 08:45:54 PM »

this is sad ,couldn't one of the towns send a plow there? arn't their trucks ( if they were out, equiped with CB'S) if not why not? I'll bet this would not be Fairfax.
Papi
: 66

« #2 : January 04, 2013, 07:19:48 AM »

Fairfax can't even keep the town roads clear--let alone private roads & driveways...
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : January 04, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »

It is definitely the homeowner's responsibility to keep their driveway clear for such emergencies.  Sad for someone to lose their enitre home over this, but glad no one was hurt. 

The town crew does a great job on keeping up with the roads during storms.  Check out some of the other local towns and see the difference when you cross their town liine :-)

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
cedarman
: 370

« #4 : January 04, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »

As far as town trucks plowing a path for fire equipment, that would be a great idea if a truck was close by, but depending on the time of the day, and the proximity to a snow storm, there might not be a driver in a plow truck (late night/early morning a couple days after a storm, etc).

That is just not something  people should rely upon in an emergency situation.
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #5 : January 04, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »

With a house fire minutes count, having to wait for any plow vehicle to clear the path means the house is gone. There are a bunch of PRIVATE driveways in town that are very narrow, steep, 1/2 to 1 mile long  and twisty I doubt some could get a town truck up to plow. Where available and able the town crew has always worked hand in hand with the Fire dept be it to open up a road or drop sand to cover ice.

Number 1 rule to remember it is your emergency if rescue or fire can not get to you we can not help.
trussell
: 870

« #6 : January 04, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »

I've been on several rescue calls where driveways were not clear and we've had to park the ambulance a considerable distance away.  Like Potter said, minutes- and really, seconds- count and having to shovel a path or haul a stretcher down a snow-covered driveway or walkway is dangerous and wastes precious time.  So yes... please keep your driveways clear :)  (and also try to make sure your nearby hydrants are clear as well).

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
: [1]  
« previous next »
: