Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:59:44 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Operation Happiness
« previous next »
: [1]
: Operation Happiness  ( 4852 )
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« : November 15, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »

If you or someone you know needs support at Christmas time, here is contact information for Operation Happiness. 
Call dates:  November 19, 20, 21 and 23
Time to call: between 8:30 and 1:30
Number:  528  8530

Pick up date for food: December 15 from 8:30-11:30 at the Baptist Church Building Main St. Fairfax

This pick up location  is  for residents of Fairfax and Fletcher.

Gifts for children will also be provided.
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : November 15, 2012, 08:44:19 AM »

Henry    It's great to see that this event is still taking place !! As you probably remember  , it was originally a project under the direction of Franklin County Uniterd Way but grew too large for that organizationto operate  by itself , so  around 1990 , the Executive Director , Edna Chagnon , asked the current President of that Charity at that time , Warren Hamm , Retired Rear Admiral , to take over the event , controlling all of it's many phases . His efforts , and those of the members of the team that he put together ( Rotary, American Legion , allof the local churches , most of the schools & their school nurses , local agencies that were set up to assist less fotunate residents , National Guard , and numerous others that I've forgotten ) made this annual event successful and set the groundwork for it's continuing functioning today.  I know that with the assistance of individuals like Rev. Elizabeth it will continue to be successful and worthwhile .
Rev. Elizabeth

« #2 : November 15, 2012, 09:07:49 AM »

It is an amazing event.  Every year it gets more efficiently run.  I don't remember how long I have been doing it, but  I remember going to the armory and having to haul out the banana boxes by myself.  Now they have students there  helping out; the boxes are all arranged in the armory in neat rows according to village.  It is awesome to see it all set out. 
As you said, Dick, many many hands make this event happen.  I know that the NHS at Fairfax goes to help pack boxes, as do other students. I am not sure if Warren Hamm is still involved;  I work with Marilyn Billings now who seems to oversee the whole thing...it takes a community to care for a community!
We all take care of each other, and that is wonderful toe see.
Harold
: 45

« #3 : November 16, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »

Love it.  Thanks for this, Rev. Elizabeth.

"If you don't know where you are, you don't know who you are."
-Wendell Berry
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #4 : November 24, 2012, 08:46:22 AM »

Reverend Elizabeth - Can we still donate food and gifts for children, and if so, how ?

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Rev. Elizabeth

« #5 : November 24, 2012, 11:29:35 AM »

Yes, food donations are always welcome for the food shelf. We are open the first two Wednesdays of the month from 9-12 and the 4th Saturday from 8:30-10:30.  Or call....
As far as toys for children go, I don't take them; contact United Way, as they do collections for children.
And, thank you for caring, Chris.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: