Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:13:14 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Thank you Julie
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Thank you Julie  ( 19458 )
sdogallen
: 51

« #15 : November 26, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »

You've nailed it right on the head Loctavious. Very well put.
nhibbard
: 393

« #16 : November 28, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »

Documented by copies of formal written complaints or notes on meetings. If someone has an issue, why not file formal written complaints documenting the issue. Make a copy of the complaint and post it for everyone to see. I'm new to the issue so it's hard for me to see what the specifics are. I understand the mentality and have heard of some issues first hand with specific requests for classroom assignments ignored after they were supposedly honored. Then the school said they could do nothing to fulfill the arrangement and claimed to have just overlooked their emails.

Are the school board meetings recorded for public access like in other towns?
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #17 : November 29, 2012, 10:44:58 AM »

Yes - they actually posted a link here to the meeting in which certain board members apolgized to Julie and stated they weren't aware of the request for her to move away from the table..... but when one goes to play the minutes of the meeting from the site it's housed on - an error message regarding the server not being found pops up.
If the claim of someone apolgizing from the baord is true, then it begs the question - WHO actually was behind the request for her to be moved away from the table?

As for written complaints, i ask again - where do you think these would be kept and how would obtain them?  I'm not trying to be difficult, I see your point that a public entities minutes and records should be available to the public. 

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
AbbeyC
: 15

« #18 : November 29, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »

The minutes from the board meeting are posted on fwsu website however you can watch the video via internet. Go to the link that was listed once on click on meetings in top left then fairfax it is the first one just viewed it again myself it is working.
I believe we as a communtiy we need to take a stand and tell our board we will not accept the fact that Mr. Kirsch is making all the decisions. It is time to act just like BFA St Albans is doing and vote for NO confidence in Mr. Kirsch.
nhibbard

« #19 : November 29, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »

Loctavious, those who filed a complaint might have made a copy. Thanks for pointing out the link. I tried to watch on my iPad but it didn't work. I'll look again later on a computer. I think all boards should do video now. Minutes exclude so much conversation and get edited. Though they are longer, video is a much better record at minimal cost.
Connie

« #20 : December 05, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »

I agree that a vote of no confidence is the appropriate next step; both for the superintendent and the school board chair.  The balance of power between the two of them is dysfunctional and continues to affect the morale in the building and the community.  Time to move on.   
Julie & 6pt Dave
: 179

« #21 : December 10, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »

I was hoping I would get a little more than this, but this is the written response I received in response to my comments at the last meeting. I know many of you were hoping to hear the Boards perspective on what happened so I felt it was appropriate to post their response to my public comment. It sounds as if we're left to just trust that they are making independent wise decisions. And for the record, I was not unwilling to meet with the superintendent and board chair to discuss this. The board chair was unwilling to be part of this meeting. She felt the superintendent "is directly responsible for the daily oversight of our school which does include communication and coordination with the school board." I was demanded to attend a meeting with the superintendent (without the board chair) on a day and time that I had previously told Mr. Kirsch (twice) that I was unable to attend. I was told failure to be there would be an indication of my intent to resign. Am I wrong to feel harassed? Am I wrong in feeling I deserve more of an explanation from the board?

Julie,

I did respond to you in a very timely fashion.  Our meeting was on Monday, November 14th and I responded to you the next day.  Here was my response.

I want to thank you again for sharing your thoughts with the board and the public at our meeting on Monday.  We did discuss this situation in executive session.  Though our conversation is protected information since it was in executive session, I can assure you that your concerns were addressed with thoughtful deliberation.  If you feel your allegations of bullying and harassment merit a complaint, I would ask that you review our policy on Harassment of Personnel (you can find this in the policy section on the FWSU website).

You are correct that 16 V.S.A. #554 allows for a written response as to the reasons an action was taken by the board.  No action was taken by the board.  You chose to resign rather than meet with the superintendent and myself to discuss the issue as was suggested.  As I stated in my original email, your questions as to how we as a board work with the superintendent were addressed in executive session.  After lengthy discussion and thoughtful deliberation we are committed to continuing our collaborative work with the supervisory union, our superintendent and administrative team.  

We are grateful to involvment from our community as we continue to move forward with the challenge of balancing the needs of our school, students and community.

Elaine Carpenter
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #22 : December 10, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »

Crafty maneuver there to hold an executive session so as to AGAIN - be able to hide the actual interworkings of thought, any possible bias and questionable logic and/or rationalizations.  Unfortunately - the logic and dominating rationale as to why this can happen, is that at some point, we as a community elected those who will perpetuate the culture. 

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Barbara
: 270

« #23 : December 10, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »

I have been a school board member in years past. 
Board members are glorified volunteers, the remuneration we received was never enough to even cover childcare or mileage costs, but it is a job someone needs to do.  The paid employees, ie superintendent and principals, are the experts to be relied upon for information and guidance in the normal course of events.  It is the task of the school board of the supervisory union to evaluate the work of the Superintendent and should the member school board feel there is a disconnect between the actions being advised and the will of their school community this should be reflected in such an evaluation. 
I am saddened to hear of several poorly handled personnel issues that have left a real sense of unhappiness for our school professionals.  Many of the individuals I came to know and love during my children's years in the BFA school system have finished their teaching careers and moved on but it would be a great tragedy for Fairfax if the few that are left felt obliged to move on due to a spirit of disrespect. 
The school is the largest "business" in town, but it is not a business, it is our beloved BFA and we need to ask how each of us can volunteer our time and talents to make sure all members of our school community are treated as treasured members and not replaceable cogs, widgets or product.
Respectfully, Barbara Smith Murphy
nhibbard

« #24 : December 10, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »

Crafty maneuver there to hold an executive session so as to AGAIN - be able to hide the actual interworkings of thought, any possible bias and questionable logic and/or rationalizations.  Unfortunately - the logic and dominating rationale as to why this can happen, is that at some point, we as a community elected those who will perpetuate the culture. 

This is a problem with Executive Sessions. They are designed to protect employees, towns and boards legally but it obscures what really happened. This being an employee issue as far as they probably saw it, it was appropriate. I agree with Loctavious, unless you want to perpetuate it, seek different leadership, but you'll still always have these sessions that on the surface leave questions about what really happened.
mirjo
: 785

« #25 : December 12, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »

This is a problem with Executive Sessions. They are designed to protect employees, towns and boards legally but it obscures what really happened.

If  boards and what they represent  are public entities and matters discussed are open to the public, I don't understand  executive sessions exist--it seems the boards decide for themselves when to go into "executive discussion," which does nothing for transparency in public matters. I also don't understand the legality issue--if someone could elaborate, it would be appreciated! Thanks.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
nhibbard

« #26 : December 12, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »

Here is the State law.

http://www.sec.state.vt.us/municipal/pubs/openmeeting/executivesession.html

Most employment issues usually go to Executive Session.
mirjo
: 785

« #27 : December 14, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »

Thank you nhibbard, official info is always helpful and appreciated!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: