Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:50:15 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  What I know or more importantly don't know about John Mitchell.
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: What I know or more importantly don't know about John Mitchell.  ( 13501 )
rogers9993
: 30

« : November 05, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »

Reposting from the political forum so people don't have to be registered or logged in to view this.

What I know about John Mitchell.

1. He's supported by the PAC Vermonters First.

2. He's married and has 2 son's.

3. He has served the Town of Fairfax in many ways over the years including Select Board, Cub and Boy Scout Leader, youth sports coach, Untied Church board, choir member, Past Master Lamoille Lodge #6 F&AM, current BFA Trustees Treasurer, zoning administrator, Fairfax Rescue Board.

4. He has been on the boards of directors of Northwest Medical Center, Ronald McDonald House, Vermont Grocers' Assoc., Vermont Petroleum Assoc., and  Business Roundtable in Montpelier.

5. petefitz, slpott and FXDHS are going to vote for him.

What I don't know about John Mitchell.

1.His stance on any issues! He has never posted anything about any issue in the political forum.

2. If he really wants to be our State Rep. He said himself that he had no intention of running until asked by Gary Gilbert. Is this just something he wants so he can include "State Rep" in items 3 & 4 above and cross it off his "Bucket List".

Scott Mitchell
: 24

« #1 : November 05, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »

Roger, thank you for your concern and for taking part in the democratic process as everyone's voice should be heard.  If you have a specific concern over any issue I encourage you to contact John Mitchell at mitchelljohn694@gmail.com or you can look into his voting record on the Fairfax Select Board as his voting is a matter of public record. 

Interestingly enough, my father was approached by both major parties to run for public office because of his experience in government matters as well as he service to the community of Fairfax and the State of Vermont.  What you know about him speaks of his character and commitment to the community.  While the issues are important the population is diverse and with Fairfax having only 1 Representative in Montpellier, I personally want someone who listens to all sides of an issue and then speaks out and votes along those lines and not how a party or group wants him to vote.  John Mitchell will vote for what is right for Fairfax and for Vermont if elected. 

During my childhood he devoted his time to volunteering for youth activities. Even today where parents seem much more involved with their children's activities we still struggle for enough coaches, scout leaders and volunteers. Back then he still found time to give all this and more to the community. He found time to do this while working full time in Burlington for a business he was instrumental in building into one of the States largest petroleum distributor.

As for the PAC issue I can tell you that he does not have any control over what they do and while he is on all their mailers understands that they have the rights to their opinions as well as we all deserve to be represented.

What it all comes down to for everyone is please get out and vote tomorrow.  I ask you to please vote for John Mitchell as he will do what is best for the community as he has done in the past and will continue to do whether elected or not.

Thank you all for reading,
Scott Mitchell
rogers9993

« #2 : November 05, 2012, 08:32:53 PM »

Scott,

I would love to hear what your Father's stance is on a number of topics. Anything from gas prices and green energy to unions and health care. What is his stance on the regulation of telecommunications and energy companies and the past rubber stamping of deals that have come before the Public Service Board? As far as I can tell based on your post I have to email him to get that info. It would be great if he could respond to a couple of these issues on the forum so everyone can see where he stands.

As fas as the PAC issue I haven't once seen him raise an issue with being associated to Vermonters First. What I see is one person/group who has no vested interst in the town trying to influence how the residents of Fairfax vote. John should come out immediately and denounce them.

Thanks
johnmitchell
: 62

« #3 : November 05, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »

Hi Roger
  I will repsond to your inquiries on Wednesday, after the election, and I can be reached at my phone number in the book 849-6284.  Always been there!!  John M  ps nice try
rogers9993

« #4 : November 05, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »

Nice try? What does that mean?

I'm not being rude and would appreciate if you wouldn't either.

Why can't you respond to questions about your stance on specific issues so the voters can see them?

Thanks
Suzy
: 429

« #5 : November 05, 2012, 11:18:12 PM »

Ummm...what does that mean?  "Nice try!"  Makes me suspicious, but i already voted in Wyoming, so it doesn't matter what I think.  Although, it should matter what candidates think about issues, and why wouldn't they want people to know?  Is there a big secret or something?  Is there more to this story?  If you wait until Wednesday, after the election, how can anyone make an informed decision?  I would vote against you on purpose if you're holding out on me.  But, as i said, I'm not voting there... 
Scott Mitchell

« #6 : November 05, 2012, 11:51:01 PM »

Roger,

Again thank you for your opinion. I am not sure why there is a resistance of contacting the candidate. This evening he had a conversation for over an hour with an woman in town who seemed to want to know his stance on many issues as well.  I understand your need to have questions answered and the most efficient way of doing that I believe would be direct contact. He is not a politician by nature as such prefers direct contact to impersonal "press releases."

I would like to know though why you waited so long to voice these concerns? I realize that we all live very busy lives and being an informed voter is important, however you reference many broad topics of which there is public record of John Mitchell giving testimony to the Vermont Senate Transportation Comittee, the chair of which, Richard Mazza, has endorsed him.

We understand that you have questions and John Mitchell stands by his record of service to the community, the state and the nation. My father did not mean to be rude,but you can understand if he felt attacked by your comment of "cross it off his 'Bucket List'" as most of what is listed he did as a volunteer to benefit the community and the state in which we live.

I apologize for continuing on at length and would like to ask all that read this to vote for John Mitchell for State Representative for Fairfax. Roger, we look forward to seeing you at the polls

Respectfully,
Scott Mitchell
rogers9993

« #7 : November 06, 2012, 12:24:28 AM »

Scott,

I'm not questioning his record of service to Fairfax. It's outstanding. I'm trying to get answers about his stance on relevant political issues. As Suzy says "it should matter what candidates think about issues, and why wouldn't they want people to know? Is there a big secret or something?".

As far as your question about waiting so long it is because i googled his name last night and the PAC article in the Messanger came up. That got me thinking about who is backing some candidates and what they thought of different issues. I didn't realize the trouble it would be to get answers to questions I and I'm sure other voters have.

I apologize to you and your father for the trouble. I thought this forum would be a good way to get his message out to a large group of voters at one time. My mistake and again I apoligize

Thank you for your time.
nhibbard
: 393

« #8 : November 06, 2012, 06:13:13 AM »

I have to agree with the confusion about not posting opinions. If you want to be an elected official, you should be willing to share your opinion in all formats. As for the comments about standing by his record, I as a new voter in town don't know his record and don't know what he voted for and against. After the Selectboard meeting tonight I'm left with more doubt on the context of just reading minutes without talking to those who were at the meeting.

So I'm left wondering still what his stances are and why he wants to be in the position and why elect someone who took the time to post but not answer the questions raised.
Scott Mitchell

« #9 : November 06, 2012, 06:39:12 AM »

Roger,

It is no trouble to respond to the voting public and there is no secret on John Mitchell's stance on issues that affect the community and Vermont, his record of service speak volumes.

In regards to googling his name, many other subjects come up before the PAC article which you posted earlier. The paper did not reach out to John for his comments and his name is mentioned once in the article in conjunction with the Republicans running for Franklin County Senate and mailers that went to his opponents, as he has received mailings from his opponents as well asking for him to vote for them.  Surely you received these as well.

I apologize if you think we have not answered your questions on the issues and you are correct this is a great place to get word to the public. I believe many people on this forum do know where John Mitchell stands through his record of service. I would like to leave you with words from Gary Gilbert, the Democrat who's seat is becoming vacant and who also endorsed my father, " John Mitchell sees his candidacy as public service and not the start of a political career."

Nhibbard, I would like to point out my father is not responding I am responding in his stead. I encourage you to reach out to him or look for him at the polls this morning. He would be pleased to talk with all of you and address any of you questions on the issues. One thing about my father as all those who have known him will tell you he has no problem sharing his opinion.

Thank you again Roger for your interest and while I do not believe we have won your vote, I appreciate the dialogue and encourage everyone to please Vote for what is best for Fairfax, Vote for John Mitchell.  Oh and also for the Town Office.

Respectfully,
Scott Mitchell
rogers9993

« #10 : November 06, 2012, 06:46:18 AM »

Scott,

Don't apologize for not answering any questions. He certainly does not need to if he has not thought about these issues.

Thank you
Scott Mitchell

« #11 : November 06, 2012, 07:28:24 AM »

Roger,

We believe that we have answered these questions in actions over the past 40 years of service to the community.  My apology is to you is that you do not believe that community service and public records speak to his views on the issues.  If you would like to send us your contact information we will be happy to respond to specific questions you have on the issues.  If you do not feel comfortable with reaching out to the candidate please you can send them to me at mymitchellmail@gmail.com.

I encourage you and all people with questions to contact us.

Respectfully,
Scott Mitchell
rogers9993

« #12 : November 06, 2012, 08:00:34 AM »

I voted shortly after 7am and there was no one from the Mitchell campaign at the poll to answer questions. You did not get my vote because of this.
nhibbard
: 393

« #13 : November 06, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »

I'll be voting tonight after work and I was disappointed to see a continued stance of not answer basic questions about a position on topics. Public records are not clear and do not explain enough about the choices representatives make. Records speak to a decision, not the rationale behind a decision. Also, Fairfax does not have a website to go to to see these decisions and as great a job as Henry does on this site, the records are not the official minutes but rather a draft that might have changed.

Best wishes to you father on his candidacy, I was just hoping he would have used this medium to express his views in public so that I could read them.
Dick Brown
: 414

« #14 : November 06, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »

I haven't seen or conversed with John for almost 20 years , but I knew him for many years prior to that as one who was an independent Vermonter  loyal to his town , and was willing to give extra efforts to the community where he lived in order to better the cause . Being a life-long Democrat , you have to know that he and I differed politically over many issues , but I always respected his fairness and judgement . A good fit for Fairfax , I would think , but for the life of me I don't understand why he is running , except for the fact that probably some folks that he respected asked . 
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: