Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:53:44 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Tales Of Our Community
| | |-+  Bob Greenia Is Building A Miniature Maple Street Covered Bridge
« previous next »
: [1]
: Bob Greenia Is Building A Miniature Maple Street Covered Bridge  ( 9089 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 31, 2012, 01:35:18 PM »

Bob Greenia, a retired IBMer spends his summers up here at Maple Grove Campground and his son & daughter in law live here in town.  Bob has a unique hobby and has offered to build us a miniature Maple Street Covered Bridge.  He has sent me a few photos of how he is coming on the project and also provided me with some captions:

Our son Scott had the idea of my building a miniature version of the Maple St. Bridge. We will bring it to Fairfax next summer.
This is the pile of pine lumber that will be used in the construction of the bridge.

Glue-up of one of the lattice sides

Building the base of the bridge. The miniature beams came from Bill Bedell's woods in Georgia

The lattice pieces now have their trunnels installed (in our case, BBQ skewer pieces).

The lattice sides are now installed on the base of the bridge. The entire piece is getting black stain to make it look old.

Top view of the base/side assemblies

Bottom view of bridge showing the bracing and the shoes

Installing the floor of the bridge.

These pieces will become the siding and the roof boards.

The cross bracing for the ceiling structure is being installed.

This shows the rafter bracing. The bridge is upside down in this picture so the glue can dry.

These are the irons that pull the sides together. There are 6 in all.

This is the start of the rafter installation

The completed rafter install

The roof is all boarded

Both side walls have received their boarding

The first stage of roof covering is to install paper to smooth out the boards.

Both ends are now finished. I will now concentrate on the roof. I am trying to decide on a technique that will make it look like galvanized roofing.

Front view of completed Maple Street bridge model

Side view of completed Maple Street bridge. Will be delivered to Fairfax Next camping season. This was an enjoyable project. It was completed in approximately 40 hours
« : November 26, 2012, 02:21:07 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #1 : November 07, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »

I have added several more photos that Bob has sent me

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #2 : November 07, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »

Great job, what a fun project and one that will certainly be appreciated and admired by a lot of town folk.
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : November 09, 2012, 10:54:32 AM »

I have just added 3 more photos to the original post that Bob sent me

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : November 26, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »

Henry, I finally completed the Maple Street Bridge. I have included two photos that show the front and side views. If you need any more, let me know. I have had a great time doing this project and look forward to giving it to you guys. I tried sending this Email with my Embarqmail account and couldn't attach any photos. Will have to check that out
Regards
Bob Greenia

Many Thanks Bob - I have added the last two photos that bob has sent me in the original post - Looks like a great job

Henry Raymond
Trekr
: 140

« #5 : November 26, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »

Henry, I have added text to the last two photos in your forum
Bob
: [1]  
« previous next »
: