Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:28:44 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Frankenstorm?
« previous next »
: [1]
: Frankenstorm?  ( 2047 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : October 26, 2012, 08:53:49 PM »

I thought you'd be interested in this information sent to me from Lt. Gov Phil Scott and  the Public Safety Commissioner, Keith Flynn. I think this letter went to all legislators.  Here's what they sent:

First of all, we are assured by the National Weather Service that this is not going to be a repeat of Tropical Storm Irene. The possible fallout from this storm in Vermont is still very much uncertain; however NWS indicates that it is not likely we will see the worst-case scenario of severe flooding we feared earlier in the week. NWS says we are likely to see a significant amount of rain, but not enough to cause widespread flooding.

Due to wet soils there is a chance for localized flooding. Towns and individuals are encouraged to ensure culverts and storm drains are clear of any debris (particularly fallen leaves) to ensure water can flow freely in heavy rains.

The main threat appears to be wind gusts. Winds in excess of 50 miles-per-hour are likely throughout the state, particularly on the western slopes of the Green Mountains. Vermont Emergency Management is encouraging the public to remove lawn furniture, toys, and other loose impediments from yards to avoid damage from flying items. The winds are also expected to cause a significant number of power outages. VEM has been in daily contact with the state’s utilities to ensure state support is provided, wherever possible, to bring power customers back on line as quickly as possible. Green Mountain Power has already procured additional crews from out of state to expedite its response, should it be necessary.

To re-iterate, this storm does NOT appear to be on the same scale as Tropical Storm Irene of a year ago. It is not the same type of storm – more of a nor’easter; it will not bring the volume of rain we saw last year; and the rain will be drawn out over a couple of days so it has a better chance of dissipating. The state has been in contact with local Emergency Management Directors since early this week and that communication continues. State agencies have been meeting to discuss a possible response. VEM has alerted swiftwater rescue teams and the Vermont National Guard of the possibility of a response next week.

The scenario is less dire than it may have been should the storm taken a different track, but the public is still encouraged to be prepared for anything.
Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: