Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:04:00 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  "Important Meetings on the new Town Office"
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: "Important Meetings on the new Town Office"  ( 11922 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 17, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »

There is some confusion about Article 1 on the Green Ballot.  It is simply asking if you approve the Town's plan to spend up to $1,460,000.00 to purchase land and design and construct a new Town Office.   This plan will be presented in full at the two meetings noted on the attached postcard, and you will have an opportunity to ask your questions.

Thanks,

The Town Office Committee

thank you Henry,

Skip

Henry Raymond
gasman353

« #1 : October 17, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »

How much is the land? Who is the person who figured the price on the building? What is the price per sq.ft?How many estimates were given to bring the current town office to code? Where are the violations posted? What are they? Are the bathroom fixtures made of gold in the new town office? I would like clarification on why the building is so expensive?
slpott
: 457

« #2 : October 17, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »

Hey Skippy. They are having a meeting to answer all of your questions. You should go. They are very informative.
gasman353

« #3 : October 18, 2012, 06:45:04 AM »

Often times people have prior obligations, like work, and cannot make the meetings. I know there are several selectboard members that use the forums. One would think some of these questions could be answered before a meeting. Furthermore, the mailings that are sent out could contain the information. So far I have heard"we need a new town office because this one wont work anymore and it has code issues". Ok fine, but A) why won't it work anymore 2) what are the violations and C) see my above questions!
Judi
: 508

« #4 : October 18, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »

Bump

It is tonight!
Mummy
: 280

« #5 : October 18, 2012, 05:54:54 PM »

Skippy, you are a smart person for asking on line!
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #6 : October 18, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »

I just came back from the meeting.  Skip Taylor had presented his presentation and did an excellent job.  Don't know if you were there or not Skippy, but if so, I suspect you got all of your answers.  When I left people were asking different questions and they were being answered.  Although there were additional questions in the presentation, I believe skip will be making up some copies of his presentation and if he sends me a copy, I will put it up here also.

Henry Raymond
kevin
: 64

« #7 : October 18, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »

Here is a link to some info that was posted previously on the site - http://www.vtgrandpa.com/forum/index.php?topic=13643.0

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
-Winston Churchill
gasman353

« #8 : October 19, 2012, 06:03:12 AM »

As stated, I am working, out of the state, I could not have made it if I tried! Instead of smart remarks maybe someone could answer the questions.
slpott
: 457

« #9 : October 19, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »

I certainly did not mean to be smart by my comment. I just know how hard the town has tried to inform us.
nhibbard
: 393

« #10 : October 22, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »

Skippy, I understand what you're saying about not being able to attend meetings or get to the office to view materials. I've brought these issues up at meetings and the Selectboard is working with residents to develop a Town website to help get this information out.

To answer you questions:

The violations are posted in the Town Office. The building is not overly expensive for new construction of a municipal building. Right now the estimates as far as I know came from qualified town members who work in construction and were estimating based on very fine details so I have no doubt that it is the best quality to last and save long term dollars. Final design will determine materials and cost. I'm familiar with renovation cost construction in Burlington costing over $200,000 per unit for building, land and rehab. This project is extremely reasonable in design and could have easily cost more with options that some towns have.

I haven't seen a lot of detail on the code violations but being new to town, the office design and layout is not setup for an expanding town. The limited parking, internal layout and conference rooms just don't meet any needs I can see. I understand that the schools parking could be used, as well as function space, but the Town should have its own space to use that meet the growing needs.

I know $1.4 million is a lot of money, but a commercial building is being developed, not a single family home and there are many increased needs to accommodate including accessibility, a comfortable workplace for staff and a place for the community to meet and work together.
gasman353

« #11 : October 24, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »

Thank you for a sensible response. I know my wife said Skip called me at home the other day to discuss my questions, althought I'm not sure how he knew who I was from my profile? Anyhow I have gotten answers to my questions at this time. Thank you again.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #12 : October 24, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »

Skippy,

It is important to remember, the information is out there that this is going on in the forum to help you get informed, Thanks to my Dad, and as stated above, contacting the Selectboard/Skip Taylor if you are out of town is definitely an option to get your answers.

Making another comment about a "smart remarks" or "sensible response" again was not necessary.  Please be respectful as no one was trying to be rude to you in anyway but trying to help.

I also travel for work and I have had nothing but responses when contacting Chris Santee and David Shea in regards to Selectboard meetings I have missed or questions after a meeting. 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
gasman353

« #13 : October 24, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »

I was just saying thank you. I also believe this website is a valuable tool in the community, our selectboard members and town officials should utilize it to put ALL of the information out there.
gasman353

« #14 : October 24, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »

There was one remark I took as being "smart" if anyone or everyone is offended by my responses, I'm sorry. Have a great Wednesday.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: