Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:13:13 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Medicare
« previous next »
: [1]
: Medicare  ( 2042 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : October 04, 2012, 06:17:44 AM »

It's nearly that time of year again. Soon Medicare recipients will be asked by the federal government to evaluate their health care coverage. Recipients will have the chance to change coverage if necessary, and in most cases, there will not be another chance to change coverage for a year. Recently Medicare recipients received in the mail a handbook "Medicare & You'.

Medicare is the federal health insurance available to people who are over age 65 or for people who are under age 65 with certain disabilities or for people who are of any age with end state renal disease. There are different parts to Medicare. Medicare part A is  Hospital Insurance and helps to cover inpatient care in hospitals, skilled nursing facility care, hospice care and Home Health care. Medicare part B is Medical Insurance and helps to cover service from a doctor and other health care providers, outpatient care, Home Health care, durable medical equipment and some preventative  services.  Medicare part C is the Medicare Advantage program run by Medicare approved private insurance programs. It usually includes the services covered by parts A and B and sometimes part D.  Medicare part D is also operated by Medicare approved private insurance companies and helps to cover the cost of prescription drugs. 

Medicare plans and prescription drug plans can change costs and coverage every year.
You should review the plan you are  using for the coming year and make sure it meets your needs for the coming year. If you like the plan you are on and it meets your needs,  then you will not have to do anything about changing. But for those who want to make a change in coverage, now is the time to do so. Every year there are a handful of people in my legislative district who ask about how to change their Medicare coverage. For most Medicare recipients, there is only one chance per year to make a change in health and prescription coverage.

Here is the best way to proceed:
October 1-15  Use this time to compare your current coverage with other options available. If you are happy with what you  have, great! No need to do anything else.
October 15-December 7 This is the official Open Enrollment time when you can change your Medicare coverage. Call 1-800-633-4277.
January 1  This is when the new coverage will begin and it will stay in place for a year.

One last thing..........lots of people know this is the time of year for Medicare re-evaluation and some will try to take advantage of seniors. Don't ever give personal information to someone who calls you on the phone. Never share your social security number, bank account numbers, credit card information or birthdate with anyone who calls you.

For more information on Medicare you can call 1-800-633-4227 or go to www.medicare.gov   TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048. As always, you can contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us. 

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: