Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:00:37 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Top 5 Rock Songs of All Time- My Opinion
« previous next »
: [1]
: Top 5 Rock Songs of All Time- My Opinion  ( 8751 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : October 01, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »

CHOM-FM in Montreal is having a poll and will announce the Top 500 Rock Songs of All Time according to it's listeners. The DJs weighed in with their Top 5, so I got to thinking....
And came up with my Top 5. I also came up with the 5 songs that didn't make it and 5 Honorable Mentions.

So here we go with the 5 Honorable Mentions (Technically 11-15).
In no particular order-

Ballroom Blitz-The Sweet I was so fond of this song, that I used to leave my transister radio on CKGM during the night while I was sleeping. Whenever the song came on, my brain would wake me up so I could listen to it.

Dream On-Aerosmith Back in the day when Steve Tyler could hit the high notes. A classic.

Don't Look Back-Boston Whenever I think of that band, that's the song I think of.

Bad Case of Loving You-Robert Palmer Took Moon Martin's song and made it his own. The version you want to hear is the one off his Greatest Hits album. They played with the instrumentation and improved it.

Roxanne-The Police The song that started it all. A love story of a lady of the night and the man who wants to change her ways.

And now the ones that didn't make the Top 5 (6-10)

10. Gimmie Shelter-Rolling Stones This song does not sound like it's from 1969. My favorite Stones song.

9. Who Are You- The Who It could have been this or Pinball Wizard. Or Baba O'Reilly. But had to be one before Keith Moon's death.

8.New Year's Day-U2 Back when the boys were young.

7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps- The Concert for George Harrison All Star tribute to the silent Beatle. Eric Clapton at his best.

6. Rock and Roll Dreams Come True-Jim Steinman Steinman's choral classic about how music can always be the savior. "Remember everything that I told you/and I'm telling you again that is true/You're never alone/cause you can put on the 'phones/ and let the drummer tell your heart what to do."

And Now.......The Top 5 Rock Songs of All Time

5. Born to Run-Bruce Springsteen Bruce and the band at their youth...and rawest.

4. Money-Pink Floyd Roger Water's timeless classic who's lyrics are just as relevent today as they were 40 years ago.

3. London Calling-The Clash Needed some punk here and it also represents one the greatest album covers ever:

2. We Will Rock You/ We Are The Champions-Queen Origionally I had Bohemien Rhapsody here but I changed my mind. Back in the spring of 1978, when the BFA baseball team was making our championship run, this combo, which were new on the charts, proved to be our inspiration.

And now the Number 1 Rock Song Ever(according to me)

1. Layla-Derek and the Dominoes 42 years later, this song still inspires air guitarists to try to emulate the one and only, Eric Clapton.

And so.....let the debate begin

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Norton
: 85

« #1 : October 02, 2012, 07:18:12 AM »

What????

No Stairway?

No Free Bird?

ASDuling
: 75

« #2 : October 02, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »

I second your London Calling & Roxanne, plus...
Tom Sawyer - Rush
Do You Want My Love - ELO
I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister

Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #3 : October 04, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »

All good songs, but for me.

1. Stairway to Heaven/ Led Zeppelin (Actually was my class song, which is weird being the class of 2001).
2. Wish you were here/ Pink Floyd
3. Paint in Black/ Rolling stones
4. Comfortably Numb/ Pink Floyd
5. Have you ever seen the rain/ CCR

top 10

6. Cocaine/ Eric Clapton
7. Hotel California/ Eagles
8. Simple man/ Lynyrd Skynyrd
9. House of the Rising Sun/ the Animals
10. Bad Company/ Bad Company

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
MikeF9
: 1994

« #4 : October 05, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »

Sorry, meant to get back but was a busy week.

Norton- Toyed with Free Bird, but thought others might argue Sweet Home Alabama.
And a confession. The list came together in about two hours worth of thinking, and Stairway to Heaven NEVER ENTERED MY MIND. Sorry. If it had, it probably would have been 7th.

Amanda- Twisted Sister? Really? Unfortunately, I was not into Rush that much until lately.

Josh- very eclectic group of songs. Some oldies and goodies. Paint it Black. Nice choice.

My sisiter Margie says I should have stayed with Bohemien Rhapsody.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: