Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:43:49 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  CVPS?Green Mountain Power (Not American)
« previous next »
: [1]
: CVPS?Green Mountain Power (Not American)  ( 6354 )
tfence
: 257

« : August 15, 2012, 06:22:54 AM »

I found out today that in a state that incourages (buy Local) (buy American) that cvps has been sold to a canadian company that looks to be vermont (Green Mountain Power). Also found out that Vermoint Gas is also owned by the same firm. (not american). why would this happen. I called the state and the only thing they tell me is it is in the best interest of Vermonters. Can somebody explain how it is in the best interest of any American to have their living services by another country.

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : August 15, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »

this is what happens when people put demarcates in office. i feel your pain .there are more than you know about ,if you want a list .........there was a time that they meaning elected people were talking about joining Canada , leaving the united states ,making Vermont part of.......
gasman353

« #2 : August 15, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »

Edited due to guest posting
« : November 19, 2012, 08:38:22 AM Henry »
Norton
: 85

« #3 : August 24, 2012, 08:19:21 AM »

We purchase our gas from Alberta Canada and it is delivered from via the trans Canada pipeline.  American markets do not enjoy the same low prices due to the barriers(restrictions,taxes,red tape) that are put up by our elected officials, mostly the democrats. I am not picking one side or the other but the restrictions imposed on the oil and gas industry make it nearly impossible for american companies to compete with foreign areas

I don't know where this opinion comes from, but for what it's worth, the average residential price for natural gas in Vermont is about 43% higher than the national average, according to the latest figures from the US Energy Information Administration.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/ng_pri_sum_dcu_SVT_m.htm

So it seems like those "barriers" (whatever they are) must result in lower prices.  I guess if we blame the democrats for non-existent higher prices then maybe they deserve the credit for the factual lower prices. 

Of course, I am not picking one side or the other.
« : August 24, 2012, 09:18:29 AM Henry »
gasman353

« #4 : August 24, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »

« : November 19, 2012, 08:38:41 AM Henry »
NIKB

« #5 : August 24, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »

Natural Gas at the well head in Canada is $1.84per mmbtu, your info shows Vermonts price as city gate price, not well head price. If you look at the city gate prices on all of the States you will find Gas man to be correct, most Northern States served by Canadian gas are lower than US gas only. Even in PA where they have huge supplies of gas you will see the city gate price is higher than Vermont. Now if you look at well head prices of both areas you will see Canada just edges out the US. Well head in Canada is $1.84 per mmbtu and the US is $1.94 per mmbtu. So no I don't think the Dems deserve credit for "factual numbers" as your numbers were not apple to apple. Apparently those "barriers" do exist!
gasman353

« #6 : August 24, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »

« : November 19, 2012, 08:39:10 AM Henry »
Norton
: 85

« #7 : August 25, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »

If you look at the city gate prices on all of the States you will find Gas man to be correct, most Northern States served by Canadian gas are lower than US gas only

Maybe that's true.  I didn't look at individual states, but Vermont is listed at $5.45 (last reported month) for city gate, US average is listed at $4.32 for city gate.  I had first looked at retail prices, since gasman's main point seemed to be low retail prices:
Vermont Gas has consistently held low prices for the gas they sell and over the last 9 quarters have been able to pass on rate drops to their customers

Well head in Canada is $1.84 per mmbtu and the US is $1.94 per mmbtu

I don't know where you got the $1.84.  The source I listed doesn't have that info (at least I couldn't find it there) and you haven't cited a source.  If these numbers are correct, that's only a 5% difference for a product produced by different companies hundreds (or thousands) of miles apart.  There could be a lot of reasons for that small difference.  Seems a stretch to say that:
the restrictions imposed on the oil and gas industry make it nearly impossible for american companies to compete with foreign areas.
(at least without some sort of explanation or detail)

your numbers were not apple to apple

Vermont average compared to US average.  Same product, same units, same categories, same reporting period, same source.

I'm certaily not an expert on this.  I ws merely responding to a comment that slammed the Democrats for making it impossible for American companies to compete, when a quick look at the numbrs seems to indicate that they are competing well, in fact have lower prices.  If someone can explain what those Democratic "restrictions" actually are, and show what effect they are having, I would love to learn more.
gasman353

« #8 : August 25, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »

« : November 19, 2012, 08:39:30 AM Henry »
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #9 : August 25, 2012, 12:24:42 PM »

then they will break the bank giving out loans that never seem to get paid back for green energy
cedarman
: 370

« #10 : September 10, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »

I heard from a friend who works in information security for DHS that all of our computer systems services for border and immigration work i now provided by a British based company (mostly American workers - but still a foreign owned company - just like ALL major formerly "American" beers)
: [1]  
« previous next »
: