Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:53:48 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Fire Training with Westford 8/14/12-Photos
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Fire Training with Westford 8/14/12-Photos  ( 5627 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : August 14, 2012, 09:54:53 PM »

Emptying Tanker 3 into a porta-pond that is hooked to Engine 2.

Westford Rescue 714

Jesse Fleming empties Tanker 1 as driver D.J. Leach looks on.

Setting two porta-ponds side by side. With a suction connecting them, when the level of the truck closest to the pumper gets down, the water is siphoned from the second pond.

Water is pulled into the pumper by way of the black suction hose, then pumped out the 4" yellow hose on the left......

..around in back of the Engine.....

...runs along the parking area.....

....and towards the ladder truck......

...and then up the ladder and out.

The ladder is extended to 80 feet and is placed at a 70 degree angle. 80 feet is the highest you can go to push water. If you are not pushing water, the ladder can extend to 100 feet. Plus the fact that the base of the ladder is about 7 feet off the ground, the actual height of the ladder to the top in this picture is 87 feet.

Firefighter Eric "Hillbilly" Smith climbs to the top of the ladder and adjusts the nozzle.

Standing on the ground, looking up between Jordan Hayes and Eric Smith with the ladder in the center and water coming out. I. LOVE. THIS. PICTURE.

MEANWHILE...AT THE WATER SOURCE...

Dry Hydrant. Pipe goes underground and over with the end at the bottom of the river. Hook up a pumper to the hydrant and start suctioning water through the pipe.

Black suction hose goes to the pump and water comes out through the 4" yellow hose...

...to a relief valve. When a tanker is finished filling, the valve for the smaller hose is opened, relieving pressure in the big hose so the end may be disconnected from the tanker.

From the relief valve, to Tanker 3.

Tanker 3 has a gauge to see how full the tank is filling. Notice the two elongated white objects. You can see the water rise as the tank is filling and can stop the process before the water overfills the tank and start splashing all over the road. Notice the bottom part is darker than the top. The tank is half full.

Jim Hogan hooking up Tanker 1.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : August 15, 2012, 06:13:57 AM »

Fantastic Job Mike

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : August 15, 2012, 06:37:08 AM »

Great pictures and explanations Mike !!! Well done !!
MikeF9
: 1994

« #3 : August 15, 2012, 05:00:50 PM »

Thank you!

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
FletcherGram
: 103

« #4 : August 16, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »

Mike, great job. I must admit the pictures of the ladder make me nauseous, lol.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: