Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:25:03 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  fiscal 2012 closeout
« previous next »
: [1]
: fiscal 2012 closeout  ( 2043 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : July 26, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »

Press reports have been fairly accurate in relating FY2012 year end balances for Vermont's revenues and expenditures. I'd like to fill in some of the gaps.

It's  true that preliminary results show Vermont closed the fiscal year with revenues  exceeding the General Fund  forecast by about $7 million. As I've written all year,  it  was the strength in Corporate Tax  revenues that  really helped  create  that $7 million overage along with the fact that the Sales/Use tax came in on target as did the Rooms/Meals tax. Personal income tax was on target, but withholding was weak, meaning  the future  earning power  for  Vermonters  is  uncertain. Property Transfer  tax is  below  estimates, because sales  are slower than expected.The Transportation Fund was around $3.4  million below forecast. The Transportation Fund is always a hard one to predict and for a long time we have been lowering estimates  to come up with a  realistic goal for tax revenue in this  Fund.  There were shortfalls again in the Gasoline tax, Purchase/Use tax and also fee receipts. None of the revenue  sources that feed the Transportation Fund keep up with demand growth. The Education Fund was $300,000 behind estimates, not including Property tax. Pennies are still being counted, but these  figures are fairly reliable. 

It's  tough to predict where revenues will come from and legislators  and fiscal officers  spend a ton of time trying to get an accurate picture. Wants and needs are never ending for state government. Somebody in Montpelier can always think up a place to put extra  money, so the real work is done by the folks who figure out revenue. How much revenue will come in to a large extent determines how much will be spent out. I do my  best to  make sure the revenue estimates are realistic.  So this year we were lucky. There was $7million more revenue than expected at the end of the year. All of the overage will be used to rebuild state buildings in fiscal 2013. It's true that the $7 million looks good sitting in the state checkbook, but honestly I think the economy looks  weaker than it did in January.

Shortly we'll start thinking about building next year's budget. Early FY14 realities are : 
*Federal changes will create a $20 million  hole  in Vermont's  Medicaid share.
*There will be strong need to add over $8 million in heating funds for low income  families and seniors.
* Vermonters will have to deal with the $120 million likely FEMA shortfall. Don't get  me started,  I'd like to resist the temptation to go on a long rant about that.

We are in an election year and that creates the tendency in some camps to soften end of year fiscal news, but the truth is the economy still is not good. I don't see a safe time to  loosen up spending at all in the next year and FY 14  will be tight too.   

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: