Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:28 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Fletcher Road Speed Limits
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Fletcher Road Speed Limits  ( 26904 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 25, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »

I am hearing rumbles that speed limits are going to be changed on the Fletcher Road - As a 50 year resident on that road, I would like to have some input on it.  I and many others travel that road every day and do not wish it to become a speed trap.

Henry Raymond
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : July 25, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »

i think 25 is a good speed
monte198
: 79

« #2 : July 25, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »

If i read one of the past board minuates correctly there was suppose to be a traffic study done.  I believe the chatter i heard is 40 mph from rainvilles farm to the fletcher line
sdogallen
: 51

« #3 : July 25, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »

40 means 50. Everybody travels 10 mph over the posted limit. I'm sorry MOST everybody.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #4 : July 26, 2012, 05:47:36 AM »

It should be in the minutes, I'll look for it.
The study basically showed Mr. Allen is right.
50 seemed to mean 60.

Some were much faster.

Franklin County Sheriff's understand it's been 50 for (ever?).
They know it will take some time to remember and break old habits, but
we had others that were much faster.

The road was not designed for high speeds
and safety was the reason for my vote to lower.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
fletchtb
: 310

« #5 : July 26, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »

What evidence was used to justify lowering the speed limit? Is Fletcher Rd more dangerous than other 50mph roads in Fairfax. Is it more dangerous (more accidents/injuries) than other 40mph roads in town? I wish it was going to stay the same.
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : July 26, 2012, 07:03:44 AM »

I am with you Fletch, I see absolutely no reason for changing it - On the hill by Claude Rainville's, if I make sure I am going 30 mph at the top of the hill, I am going 45 when I go by the house and would be speeding.  Have seen the Sheriff's Patrol parked near the hay mow entrance in the back of the barn and they certainly will pick up speeders quite easily there that exceed 40 mph.  I consider speeders on the Fletcher Road, those going over 55 mph and that is where the effort should be put and not lowering the speed limit to 40 mph.  Mill Hill should have the Village Speed limits which common sense would tell you due to the sharp curve at the bottom of the hill.
« : July 26, 2012, 07:06:32 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
ssweet
: 293

« #7 : July 26, 2012, 07:29:18 AM »

It is sad that the offenders of the speed limit spoil it for the people who try to obey it.  The ones who try to obey the speed limit are the ones who are being punished as the ones who are going over the speed limit will probably continue to do so.  I think it is sad that a good road can't be driven on the way it was intended.  Imagine you can go 35mph on all the dirt roads and now we have to drive 40mph on the Fletcher Road with good black top.  Just doesn't make sense to me. 
Shadylane08
: 125

« #8 : July 26, 2012, 08:00:48 AM »

I think changing the speed limit on fletcher road aallll the way to the town line is probably a little much.  I think 40mph starting somewhere around rainvilles seems more appropriate.  If they are doing traffic studies for speed limits on fairfax roads maybe there are some other roads that should be looked at too cough cough buck hollow road cough cough.  In the first two miles of both roads there are actually more residents on Buck Hollow (74), then on Fletcher Road (69, also town garage, and the old milton bradley), and from meade rd to 104 being pretty much one long hill, cars get moving through there.  I do believe like fletcher road there is a small portion in the very beginning of buck hollow that is already 40mph but I may be mistaken.

I do agree with a previous post 40mph = 50mph which is fine as long as the sheriff that the residents of fairfax already pay to patrol the town don't make a living on locals going 48 ;-)
David Shea
: 471

« #9 : July 26, 2012, 10:55:03 AM »

I encourage everyone who has an interest in this change to take the time to review the speed study that was performed.  The detailed information in the study will surprise many of  you.

The Fairfax Select Board encourages community participation at all of our meetings.  Meetings are held at 7:00 pm the first, third and last Monday of the month,
(last Monday depends on our workload).  The procedure for public input is to contact Stacy Wells the Board Assistant to be added to our meeting agenda.

Dave Shea
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #10 : July 26, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »

Thanks, Dave.
Here are the minutes from the vote:
http://www.vtgrandpa.com/fxtown/6-26-12.html

I made the motion.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
fletchtb
: 310

« #11 : July 26, 2012, 11:56:02 AM »

Can the Speed Study be found on the internet currently or be posted for interested parties to read?
Henry
Administrator

« #12 : July 26, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »

I would be interested in looking at that speed study.  Also, I was told by one of the Selectboard Members that a big part of their decision was based on a couple of accidents - A 40 MPH would not have made any difference in either one of them as one person was texting while driving and the other person fell asleep.

I have no problem with the speed limit being lower from 99 Fletcher Road into the village, but lets not make the rest of the road a speed trap.

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #13 : July 26, 2012, 12:14:49 PM »

Sorry all but not a fan at all....

Here's my take. As a Fletcher Road Resident who has lived here almost my entire life and deal with the traffic everyday.  I can tell you I am opposed of the speed limit change. 

How about ALL the residents who live on that road have a say as to what the speed limit is instead of those who do not live on here or a couple people with a petition who want to control this road.....

I have heard, well we had few accidents recently. One person fell alseep and the other was texting and driving..... 104 to St. Albans has accidents, going to change that road as well?

I would like to know when the next meeting is to discuss this as I am completely OPPOSED to this.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
ssweet
: 293

« #14 : July 26, 2012, 12:20:07 PM »

If I remember correctly where I saw the counter/study being taken was on the straight-a-way between the cemetery and the town garage and not on any of the curves in the road.
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: