Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:54 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Intruder Dies After Breaking Into Essex Junction Home
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Intruder Dies After Breaking Into Essex Junction Home  ( 23847 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 01, 2012, 07:38:05 AM »

A man is dead after breaking into a home in Essex Junction, Vermont.

Police say it happened Friday morning at a home located at 135 Main Street. Preliminary investigation shows the intruder went into the house and a fight broke out between him and a person living there. As a result, the intruder died.

Police say more information will be released Friday afternoon.

http://www.fox44now.com/story/18674613/intruder-dead-after-fight-with-homeowner-in-essex-junction-vt

Henry Raymond
Scott
: 152

« #1 : June 01, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »

More Details:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20120601/NEWS02/120601009/Police-Intruder-killed-Essex-Junction?odyssey=mod|breaking|img|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1

Regards,
Scott
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : June 04, 2012, 05:32:00 AM »

Ryan Morton-Lane, 30, of Storrs, Conn., was identified Sunday night as the alleged home invader killed during a confrontation with an Essex home owner early Friday.

Essex police needed to use fingerprints to confirm Morton-Lane’s identity, police said. His ties to Vermont are under investigation, Lt. Ken Beaulieu said in a three-sentence news release.

Beaulieu later told the Burlington Free Press that Morton-Lane’s fingerprints were on file in Connecticut because he has a criminal record there. He said it was “a few pages” and included property crimes.

Confirming the man’s true identity was difficult because he used three street names and was from out-of-state, officials said. Once they had a possible identity police obtained his fingerprints for comparison. After they matched, police needed to notify his family, Beaulieu said.

The homeowner, Shawn Garrett, 40, had no known connection to the dead man, police have said. He received minor injuries in the scuffle at 135 Main St. shortly before 1 a.m. Friday.

Garrett reported he woke up to find a stranger in his house and confronted him, police said. They said the two men battled, and the fight continued onto the front lawn.

Garrett’s 13-year-old son phoned 911 summoning Essex police from their station a few hundred yards away at 81 Main St. Garrett was holding the man down and the intruder had a stab wound in his chest.

Essex Rescue took Morton-Lane to Fletcher Allen Health Care, where he was pronounced dead from the single stab wound.

“This case remains under investigation,” Chittenden County State’s Attorney T. J. Donovan told the Burlington Free Press on Sunday night.

Donovan said he would provide a specific timetable on making a decision about the case, but said he would try to resolve it promptly.

Donovan said he would confer with Essex police today to learn the latest and determine what, if any, additional avenues they had to follow.

“This is every homeowner’s worst nightmare,” Donovan said.

Donovan said Garrett has been cooperating with the investigation. Garrett, after an initial statement to police at the scene, retained Burlington lawyer Kurt Hughes, who was continuing the discussion with police.

Hughes could not be reached for comment Sunday evening.

Police have said they found two knives at 135 Main St., but the ownership of each was unclear.

An autopsy showed the stab wound pierced his heart, Chief Brad LaRose said at a news conference Friday. The chief said as police tried to determine the man’s identity, they learned of an aggravated assault and robbery that had not been reported to police.

Essex police obtained search warrants for two locations: the Garrett residence and also one unit at an apartment complex at 119 Main St., which is where Morton-Lane was possibly staying.

Henry Raymond
Travis
: 141

« #3 : June 04, 2012, 04:52:56 PM »

Shawn is a good friend of mine. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body. I have never seen him lose his temper or sense of humor. He's the kind of guy that rescues bunnies and is upset when he hits a bird with his van. True stories. He is an intelligent and extremely hard worker that started his own appliance repair business a few years ago that is doing very well. Which is what made him a target of this scumbag career criminal. Luckily Shawn protected his family, otherwise they could have ended up like the Curriers. You have to wonder with the proximity of the crimes if this guy had anything to do with them going missing.

I know we have a couple of members on this forum that represent us in Montpelier. I would like to request legislation be put forth to allow some sort of castle doctrine, or "stand your ground" law here in Vermont. With the increase of home invasions, not having a law of this sort is putting law abiding homeowners in a bad situation. At 1am, with an armed stranger in your house, you should not have to worry about going to jail if you kill them. Even if a person isn't charged, they are obligated to pay thousands of dollars for legal consultation to guide them through the process, otherwise they could easily be railroaded into jail.

What do you need from us? A petition to get it on a ballot somewhere? I am willing to do my part, please just let me know what you need. The tax paying, law abiding citizens need this protection so that we can protect our families without worrying about losing everything.
tfence
: 257

« #4 : June 04, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »

Where do I sign that petition?

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
gasman353

« #5 : June 04, 2012, 07:09:57 PM »

Agreed.
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : June 04, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »

I agree with you too Travis - I have heard nobody mention that this guy should be charged as I think most people agree that he did have to defend himself.

Henry Raymond
al brodeur
: 216

« #7 : June 04, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »

I think that the homeowner should be honored for rehabilitating a criminal at no cost to the taxpayer or supporting him in jail
Travis
: 141

« #8 : June 05, 2012, 05:19:10 AM »

Henry, I haven't heard anybody say he should be charged either but every news article or broadcast mentions that he could be charged. Shawn is afraid of that too. According to the law in Vermont, a person has to meet a few criteria in order for it to be justified self defense. Was the person's life in danger? Did they retreat after the immediate danger? Was the force used justified? All of these questions are subjective, and a homeowner defending his family at 1am may have a different opinion than the police officers and prosecutors that are investigating after the fact.

Proper legislation would protect the homeowner. Instead our current laws seem to favor the criminal by putting doubt into the mind of the homeowner. In the heat of the moment, if you aren't thinking through the legalities, you could easily end up in jail. This is wrong on so many levels and we need it fixed.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #9 : June 05, 2012, 05:42:22 AM »

Agreed 100% Travis!!! This is a perfect opportunity to address the issue too, the fact that someone has to second guess a decision to protect himself or their family is unacceptable.  If we have to get some signatures let me know I'll go door to door to help out.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Corm
: 65

« #10 : June 05, 2012, 06:05:01 AM »

I will happily sign that petition!

Corm
Sue W.
: 167

« #11 : June 05, 2012, 07:12:56 AM »

Me too.  The homeowner should not have to worry that he will be charged.  He was protecting his family and home from harm.  I applaud Mr. Garrett.
slpott
: 457

« #12 : June 05, 2012, 08:05:32 AM »

I tend to think very basic but here it goes. If you come into MY home to steal or whatever your intention is you should be shot. If I come into your home without being invited, I should be shot. If people knew that they could be shot and killed for enterring someone else's property maybe this nonsense would stop. What is yours is yours. It is not for the taking. We can not allow people to be violated in this way anymore. It is ruining us. Not only that but people are living in fear. I am very frustrated and know that if someone came into my home they would be shot. No questions asked. We would not take the time to figure out if they were a good candidate for rehabilitation. I would also sign that petition and help circulate it.
CLach
: 98

« #13 : June 05, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »

electronic signature ;)

Has anyone had a gentleman come to their door to discuss natural heating alternatives?  My wife had a visit from a guy on a bicycle of all things discussing this and I was very skeptical.  It can all be legit but I wanted to see if anyone got the same visit?  We live off of Chaffee Rd.  Thx
formerfxfd15
: 21

« #14 : June 05, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »

We live on 128 in Westford, and last week I had a young woman on a bicycle stop to talk about the alternate home heating thing as well.  They did the same thing last year, and it was a young man in that case, again on a bike.  I do believe that in this case they are legitimate,  they even handed out the same pamphlet both times.  But back to the subject, I am all for signing a petition to protect your home and loved ones from this increase in home invasions.  It is very scary and does need to stop.
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: