Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:50:39 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Social Security Scam
« previous next »
: [1]
: Social Security Scam  ( 2597 )
Dick Brown
: 414

« : May 16, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »

Good Morning , Henry   Just wanted to inform both you and any other Social Security recipients of a scam now circulating nationwide , but especially in Florida. My friend Mary received a form letter from SS informing her that as of the next payment in June ,her monthly allotment will be deposited in the new financial institution as she had allegedly requested . Since she hadn't requested such an action , she went to the local social security office for an explanation . What she found out was that someone had requested that the deposit be transferred to a type of credit card which then be used by that person without any expectation of legal action towards them .
Fortunately , the SS office sent a letter out and fortunately also , Mary did not dismiss the letter but asked for more information . The representative at the local office reversed the action , but warned Mary to check on her next deposit date to make sure it was in the bank .He also told her that this scam has been going on for at least five months and several such situations have happened in this area , with the result usually being that the funds cannot be recovered for a long period of time ( if ever ) .  Hope this info helps someone to avoid such a situation .
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : May 16, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »

Great to hear from you, Dick !
Sorry it is on this subject, but thanks for the heads-up, mom's down there next to the Cape.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : May 16, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »

Hi Dick,
Good to hear from you again - I check my deposits and on-line payments almost on a daily basis - I had not heard of this scam and am sure it will alert a few seniors.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: