Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:33:56 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  constables
« previous next »
: [1]
: constables  ( 3478 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : April 25, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »

Regular readers will remember back in 2008 the legislature decided to require town constables to complete the training offered at the Vermont State Police Academy for part  time officers before serving as an elected town constable. Currently serving constables were supposed to have their training completed by 2010. The intent of this change was to provide the public with the assurance of trained competent personnel in the role of law enforcement officers.

It soon became apparent many constables could not complete the requirements of this training, mainly because it was so hard to get field training. So the deadline for completion of the training was extended to 2012. Access to field training opportunities continues to be an issue. This is the part of the training that puts the student officers in the cruiser with trained officers and allows the student a chance to observe real on the job situations. This week the legislature extended the deadline for current constables to complete  training by 2013. Students who have begun the basic training course at least by May 1st this year will have until July 1, 2013 to complete all aspects of the training including field training. After this date, constables must have all aspects of the basic training completed before they can work, this includes the field training.

In addition to these extensions of training time, the new bill asks the Law Enforcement Advisory Board in conjunction with the Criminal Justice Training Council to report to the House and Senate on ways constables can receive training as law enforcement officers including recommendations on how constables can complete the program’s field training officer experience. There is belief that the field training may best be done at the Police Academy. This bill was approved on voice vote and the governor is expected to sign it into law. All Vermonters who wish to serve as elected town constables will have to comply with this new regulation

A municipality can vote to prohibit constables from exercising any law enforcement authority. When a town does this, the constable can continue to serve criminal or civil process, kill injured deer, and assist the health officer. The Vermont League of Cities and Towns report that 195 towns have light duty officers, these are constables who have duties restricted. Thirty three people have begun training to become part time police officers, 15 have completed the training and one received training in another state. That leaves 17 people who are in some phase of completing the training. If you’d like more information on this or any other issue dealing with our state government, contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : April 25, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »

aren`t you allow to kill injured deer now?
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #2 : April 28, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »

apparantly, 'yes,' Ed because the document says..".can continue to kill injured deer."
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #3 : April 30, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »

Ed and Rev., My understanding is anyone can kill an injured deer for humane reasons with permission from a constable, police officer, or selectboard member. Constables are restricted in their duties if they haven't completed the required training, mainly the use of a firearm for law enforcement. There are a few exceptions and killing injured deer  is one of the exceptions. This change does not change the abilities constables have now.
Rep. Carolyn Branagan

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: