Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:33:05 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  statehouse visits
« previous next »
: [1]
: statehouse visits  ( 6659 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : April 19, 2012, 10:00:45 AM »

This has been a great week for students to visit the statehouse and I was pleased to have three different groups from the legislative district.

Two groups of high school students from Bellows Free Academy in Fairfax came from Mr. Clark’s and Mrs. Stewart’s senior level civics/social studies class. This is an annual trip for these students, who are always extremely well prepared. Each student came to research a particular bill and as a group they were impressive in the background research they’d completed, behavior and respectful appearance. Having theses students at the statehouse is always a high point of the year for me.

Delightful 4th graders from Georgia Elementary School came yesterday.  They were so excited to see the statehouse building where laws are made and to tour the grounds. This group also visited the State Historical Society Museum and got to meet Governor Peter Shumlin. These 4th graders came with a suggested piece of legislation: that all schools and businesses in Vermont be required to have a compost pile. I promised them I’d pass along the suggestion to the proper committee. I have known their teacher Miss Alexis Bell for over 40 years.

I was pleased to be able to speak about both groups on the House floor and even got to introduce the younger children from Georgia to Speaker of the House Shap Smith. If you would like to know more about visiting the statehouse contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : April 19, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »

how does one go about addressing both houses at one time ?i would love to give them some advice
Thor

« #2 : April 19, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »

Stay away from there Ed. If you go down there, really bad things can happen to you.... for some reason, all the common sense gets sucked out of your head when you go in!! And they don't want your advice; but they DO want you taxes.
Terri Santee
: 77

« #3 : April 19, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »

Fairfax 4th graders will be there on May 4th!
rod anode

« #4 : April 19, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »

ooooooo i can act like a 4th grader
rod anode

« #5 : April 19, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »

hey thor,carrot top said you and him are gonna go shooting ,can i come?
mirjo
: 785

« #6 : April 23, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »

Carolyn,

Many years ago, Mrs. Sinclair-Fowler(at BFA) did a civics unit with her 3rd graders on how the law making process. They researched official state 'stuff' as part of the curriculum and learned there was no state fruit or state pie and they decided as a group that the apple should be the state fruit and the apple pie, the state pie. They learned about the process of a bill becoming a law, which culminated in a trip to the state house to "lobby" for their bill. A select group was chosen to 'testify' in front of the Ag committee (each student had a specific rehearsed piece they read of the argument for making the apple the official fruit). They brought apple pies (for dessert at lunch) and apples to plie the legislators with as they "lobbied" for their bill.

They were amazingly well behaved and focused 8-year-olds and certainly the darlings of the legislature that day. Their bill passed and was signed into law by then Governor Dean, at a tree planting ceremony in the (then) new elementary wing. After Gov. Dean signed the bill into law they all went out and planted an apple tree at the end of the building. The tree is now about 2 stories tall and bears fruit each fall!

It was such a wonderful experience for the kids. They learned a lot, even at that young age. My son, a junior in college now, was a student in that class and he remembers it well. Of course, he did get to testify in front of the Ag committee, stood next to the governor when he signed the bill, and carried the flag in at the start of the ceremony...so he has a great deal to to look back on! :-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #7 : April 24, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »

What a wonderful story! I did not know about this. It shows how powerful the voices of children can be. Congratulations to all involved.
Carolyn

Carolyn Branagan
rod anode

« #8 : April 24, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »

children should be seen and not heard
ohhman
: 469

« #9 : April 26, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »

"children should be seen and not heard"............so should some adults
rod anode