Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:15:35 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  VT Increase in Traffic Fatalities
« previous next »
: [1]
: VT Increase in Traffic Fatalities  ( 10690 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : April 02, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »

Press Release
For Immediate Release
Betsy Ross, Public Information Officer, Governor's Highway Safety Program, 802-585-9283
Betsy.Ross@state.vt.us

Vermont Experiences Increase in Traffic Fatalities
As we approach the end of the first quarter of 2012, the State of Vermont is experiencing a dramatic increase in the number of traffic related fatalities which have occurred since the beginning of the year.  As of today (March 30th), Vermont has experienced 22 deaths in traffic incidents.  These 22 tragedies are more than double the 9 deaths which occurred during the same time frame in 2011.  In addition, a review of similar time periods during 2008, 2009 and 2010 illuminate the severity of this year's increases and is a cause for immediate concern.  A careful analysis of each of the 22 fatalities, which include five pedestrian deaths, has failed to reach a clear and understandable commonality or recognizable trend. Municipalities are conducting public education campaigns to heighten public awareness regarding walking on roadways, nighttime activities and the wearing of high visibility clothing and illuminating devices.   The Department of Public Safety is working collaboratively with other state agencies to aggressively investigate, monitor and respond to this current anomaly.  Fatal crashes have been plotted, mapped and dissected geographically, temporally, and spatially.  This analysis of the 22 fatal crashes has revealed the following common denominators:

*        There have been 4 fatal crashes in both Windham and Rutland counties and 3 in Chittenden County. 2 have occurred in Franklin, Washington and Windsor counties and 1 in Bennington and Lamoille.  No fatal crashes have occurred in Addison, Caledonia, Essex, Grand Isle, Orange, Orleans counties.

*        6 have occurred on U.S. routes; 7 on VT routes; 0 on Interstates and 6 on local/other roads.

*        6 have occurred on Sunday with Monday (4); Tuesday and Thursday (3) next in order of volume.

*        2 have involved drivers less than 18 years of age.

*        It has been determined that 5 of the crashes involved impairment, 3 were speed related and 11 of those killed were apparently unbelted.
The Governor's Highway Staff working in collaboration with the Vermont State Police data analyst to continue to review each and every tragic fatality.  Local, area specific, data is available for review and analysis upon request.  For further information please contact Betsy Ross, Public Information Officer for Governor's Highway Safety Program at 802-585-9283. For questions relating to detailed crash data please contact Sally Tarabah at Sally.Tarabah@state.vt.us.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #1 : April 06, 2012, 08:23:28 AM »

Lt. Tom Hango, Station Commander – St. Albans Barracks, 802-524-5993
Lt. John Flannigan, Traffic Operations Commander, 802-999-7685

St. Albans, VT – 4/5/12– On April 6, 2012, the Vermont State Police, Vermont DMV Enforcement, Sûreté du Québec (Quebec Provincial Police) and New York State Police will participate in a joint traffic enforcement initiative “Operation Traffic Safety without Borders.” This operation will occur on Good Friday kicking off Easter weekend with the anticipated increase in traffic for both inbound and outbound travelers between Vermont and Quebec.

The initiative will take place on Friday, April 6 between 10AM and 6PM. Law enforcement officers will patrol border areas in Franklin, Grand Isle and Orleans counties. The emphasis will be on major corridors, such as Interstate 89 and 91; as well as US Routes 7 , 5 and 2, as these areas have the highest volume and concentration of international traffic. There will be 14 officers supporting this event and working closely with the Sûreté du Québec.

This is the second year for “Operation Traffic Safety without Borders.” Last year’s event, held on April 22, 2011, had positive results and good media coverage.

“High visibility targeted traffic enforcement can influence driving behavior and reduce traffic crashes and detect criminal activity,” said Lt. John Flannigan, Traffic Operations Commander. “The Vermont State Police look forward to another successful year working with our neighboring law enforcement agencies during this initiative.”

Traffic activity among all agencies will be tracked and will be made available, as needed, after the event.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #2 : April 12, 2012, 12:37:27 PM »

The following enforcement activity was reported on April 6th from Vermont State Police and DMV officers;

92 traffic stops conducted

165 people contacted

57 traffic violations issued (3 suspended drivers)

40 written traffic warnings

15 commercial vehicle inspections

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
cedarman
: 370

« #3 : April 13, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

interesting how the enhanced enforcement activities concentrated on 89 and 91 but there have not been any fatalities on interstate highways from the information previously provided.
I also wonder what the rationale is behind concentrating on "border areas in Franklin, Grand Isle and Orleans counties."  and on international traffic since two of those 3  counties don't have any reports of traffic fatalities in this set of statistics.   Is there a large presence of "international" individuals in the 22 deaths reported?

Something does not add up in this story, or I am missing something.

The Conspiracy Theorist in me thinks there is some other reason behind the increased police patrols in border areas and corridors with high volume and concentrations of "international traffic."
kpplus2

« #4 : April 13, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »

I agree. I think it has to do with how special patrols are funded from the state. The state gives out certain grants to do certain things the patrol story and the death count story may not be directly related for that particular patrol event. Federal money comes down for seatbelt enforcement. There is separate money for DUI etc. So it may be that particular boarder patrol was set up for that area and that event specifically. Not positive however that is my guess. Now to respond to the why I think young folks are being killed on VT roads is one reason: THE CELL PHONES. Keep in mind this is my opinion but I can't count how many times I see young people on the phone or texting while driving. Now ad on lack of experience behind the wheel and WALA death or serious injury is the outcome. The temptation is so great now-a-days to tweet, Facebook, more apps on your I phone then leaves on the ground in the fall. That temptation is so high amongst our youth they almost can’t help it. So laying out the problem is never a good idea unless you have a solution right? So here is mine.
1.PARENTS I know you want your child to be safe and be able to contact him or her with their phones, however get them a phone that can only be used to talk. I know easier said than done however it may save their life.
2. Talk to your kids about their texting behind the wheel, it may fall on deaf ears but have the conversation.
3. Get with their cell provider and get a list of how many texts there are doing and the times. It may surprise you
4. If they are caught texting while driving its $156.00 and 2 points for the first offense and $329.00 for the second make them pay it out of their own pocket.

Anyway just my suggestions I honestly believe that texting while driving is as bad as being drunk. Just saying
Be safe and have a great day
« : April 14, 2012, 01:28:36 AM kpplus2 »
Chris Santee

« #5 : April 16, 2012, 06:16:18 AM »

STATE OF VERMONT DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
VERMONT STATE POLICE PRESS RELEASE

MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH

CASE#: 12B101163
TROOPER: Sgt. David Petersen
STATION: VSP-St. Johnsbury                   
CONTACT#: 802-748-3111

DATE/TIME: Approximately 1700 hours on 04/15/2012
LOCATION (specific): US Route 5, Barnet, north of Robinson's Log Yard

VEHICLE #1 OPERATOR:                           AGE:      SEAT BELT? N/A
CITY, STATE OF RESIDENCE:
DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE: 2008 Yamaha Motorcycle

DAMAGE TO VEHICLE: major damage to motorcycle, windshield, pieces of exhaust,
and control panel separated from vehicle

WEATHER: Partly Cloudy   
ROAD COND: Dry

SUMMARY OF CRASH:
At approximately 1700 hours on 04/15/2012, State Police were notified of a
single vehicle motorcycle accident on US Route 5 just north of Robinson's Log
Yard in Barnet. Calex Ambulance Service, Barnet Rescue Squad, and Barnet

Volunteer Fire Department also responded to the scene. Medical treatment was
being provided upon the arrival of State Police, however the operator of Vehicle

#1 succumbed to the injuries sustained. The operator was pronounced dead at the
scene.

US Route 5 was closed during the scene investigation. The closure lasted for
approximately two (2) and a half hours.

Initial investigation suggested the operator of Vehicle #1 was travelling north
on US Route 5 as part of a group of three (3) motorcyclists. As US Route 5
traversed a right hand curve, the operator of Vehicle #1 failed to properly
negotiate the curve. The operator of Vehicle #1 crossed the on-coming lane of
travel and went off the road, striking a dirt embankment. The collision with the
embankment separated the operator from the motorcycle. The operator then
collided with a rock outcrop. The operator was wearing a helmet at the time of
the accident.

Initial indications are that speed was a factor in the accident, however early
indications are that alcohol does not appear to be a factor. This incident
remains under investigation.

The identity of the operator is being withheld until next of kin can be notified.

***** UPDATE *****

Operator in this accident was Andrew Shattuck, age 21, of Barnet, VT.

« : April 16, 2012, 02:36:14 PM Chris Santee »

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #6 : April 16, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »

in a related accident:
STATE OF VERMONT DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
VERMONT STATE POLICE PRESS RELEASE

MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH                                                                 
CASE#: 12B101164

TROOPER: Sgt. Brian May
STATION: VSP-St. Johnsbury                     
CONTACT#: 802-748-3111

DATE/TIME: 04/15/2012, at approximately 1745 hours
LOCATION (specific): US Route 5 near Joe's Brook Road, Barnet

VEHICLE #1 OPERATOR: Seth Loomis                AGE: 24     SEAT BELT? Y 
CITY, STATE OF RESIDENCE: St. Johnsbury, VT
DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE: 2011 Ford Crown Victoria
DAMAGE TO VEHICLE: front end, contact damage to passenger side doors

VEHICLE #2 OPERATOR: Ethan O'Brien              AGE: 26     SEAT BELT? Y
CITY, STATE OF RESIDENCE: Danville, VT
DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
DAMAGE TO VEHICLE: minor damage to driver's side fender and grill

NO INJURIES
WEATHER: Clear   
ROAD COND: Dry

SUMMARY OF CRASH: 
Seth Loomis was on duty as a Vermont State Trooper responding to a serious motor
vehicle crash on US Route 5 in Barnet. While responding with blue lights, he
sideswiped the above stated vehicle travelling north and turning onto Joe's
Brook Road in Barnet. There were no injuries. The cruiser was towed due to a
radiator leak and the other vehicle was driving away by the owner.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #7 : April 16, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »

kpplus2,  When I was younger they blamed the cassette players/CD's and looking for tapes/CD's to play.  I think the point to get across to teenagers is your number one focus is driving. And I blame the parents and teenager for not doing so.

Cell Phones are not the blame, just another possible distraction that we need to express to our new drivers the dangers.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Chris Santee

« #8 : April 16, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »

I receive a lot of accident reports from VSP.
One of the major distractions is a child in a car seat in the back.
Mom reaches back to insert a pacifier, fix a bottle/blanket, etc.

But distractions come in many forms:
One guy in Cambridge caused an accident when he dropped his milkshake.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
7F24
: 253

« #9 : April 16, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »

How about lighting something on fire, then handling it with your mouth and hands while you drive.
kpplus2

« #10 : April 18, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »

mkr, I have to disagree with you. I do agree that many things are distracting while driving, and true when we we were kids they blamed putting in a cassette tape, However from my expirence on the road I have seen more "texting" cell phone use, internet surfing etc. increase in the past three years. Yes fatalities are ussually caused by a few factors: Wasnt wearing a seat belt, driving to fast, ditracted, bad tires, and all combined resulted in the crash. Ussually not just by one factor. So long story short It's my opinion from my view. Agree or not the bottom line at the end of the day as you said is driving is the number one prioity when behind the wheel.   

2011 Distracted Driving Statistics

Most adults who drive admit to engaging in distracted driving behaviors, according to a HealthDay poll from November 10-14, 2011. More than 2,800 American adults responded to the poll. Results showed the following statistics:
•Approximately 86% of drivers said they ate or drank while driving at some point, and 57% said they do it “sometimes” or “often.”
•Over 1/3 of drivers (37%) have sent or received text messages while driving, and 18% said they do it regularly.
•Forty-one percent of adult drivers have set or changed a GPS system while driving, and 21% do it “more frequently.”
•Many adult drivers (36%) have read a map while driving, and 10% do it “sometimes” or “often.”
•One in five drivers have combed or styled his or her hair while driving. One in ten does it regularly.
• Have you ever seen a driver putting on makeup? Approximately 14% have done it once, and 7% do it frequently.
•About 13% of adult drivers have surfed the Internet while driving.
•Results of the poll showed that younger drivers were more likely to engage in distracted driving. Men were more likely to drive while drowsy, drive after drinking, read a map, use a GPS system, and use the Internet.
•A large percentage of the people said they know distracted driving is dangerous, but do it anyway.
Thor

« #11 : April 18, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »

The Governor's Highway Safety Program, VSP, local LE, emergency first responders, all of us.... we can sit and try to do the correlations, the interpolations and everything else to figure out why these things are happening. And some genius will tell us that you should avoid Route 7, on Sunday, between the hours of 01:00am and 03:00am, if your texting, smoking a cigarette, eating a burger and trying to discipline your kids (who are in the back seat). The problem is typically a pretty simple one.... people lack situational awareness overall. Then throw in any other distractions or outside influence and you have the recipe for disaster. Doesn't mean it will always happen, doesn't mean it will ever happen, some folks move around on just plain dumb luck. Sometimes you can be doing everything right, and someone else causes the incident / accident. (See the one about the Trooper sideswiping an innocent driver while responding to a call) Which actually sounds like it was more than a sideswipe, if he had a radiator leak. Anyway. Stay focused behind the wheel. Simple as that. Explain to your kids that they are driving a 3000lb or more weapon (depending on vehicle type) that can have absolute catastrophic effects if not used properly. Hell, we can remind ourselves of that as well.
kpplus2

« #12 : April 18, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »

well said thor
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #13 : April 19, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »

Completely agree Thor...

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Kathleen
: 167

« #14 : April 20, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »

You said it.  Over the years I have had a few fender benders with my cars but I have never been driving when I receive them except for my very first accident when I was 18 and that was due to total distraction by my dog.  All my other "accidents" have happened when my car is sitting still.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: