Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:22:11 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  The Turkey Dinner Appeared To Be A Success
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Turkey Dinner Appeared To Be A Success  ( 2686 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 31, 2004, 05:21:33 PM »

Hi All,

Well, I got down to the BFA Elementary Gym at about 11:45, just as the crowd was being let in as waiters & runners were all set to go.

At just about 11:50 the crowd was waiting somewhat patiently as waiters and runners began bringing platters of turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, squash, peas and nice warm homemade rolls to the table.  Cranberry jelly and pickles were also served as well as milk and coffee.

Another view from the left side of the gym

Now from the center.  Notice the runners already lined up for refills as the platters emptied rather quickly

Steve Minor serves coffee to the table where Sylva & Brenda Thibault were seated

Runners anxiously wait as Van Lantagne, Jim Groseclose and Ginette Pigeon work at filling the steam pans

Went back to the kitchen, just ahead of someone with an empty pan of dressing rushing as fast as I could to find that Ginette Pigeon had already beat me there.  Chris Racine was also rushing back and forth and I thought he was out front.

Kathy Hogan, Becky White and Bob Thompson were waiting for the take out business to start, so gave them my four take out tickets and went on to take a few more pictures.

I have no idea what Ed Nuttall was supposed to be doing - Maybe having a seizure.

Mike Cross, back to camera, Jim Groseclose and Van Lantagne are shown above.

Paul & Pauline Lavallee are shown at their table with some of their family - Notice the empty basket of rolls - I must say these homemade warm rolls sure are delicious.

Lee & Louise Minor and some of their family are shown at another table above

To the best of my knowledge, when the dinner started, there were 15 openings at the last serving.  Our take out was absolutely delicious and enjoyed by Maryann, our youngest daughter Mary Kay and my sister Theresa and of course me.

There were lots of politicians there.  For the benefit of our newer people in town, this dinner was started for that specific purpose, to get the politicians here in Fairfax.  In those earlier days, there was a head table where they all sat so people would have an opportunity to meet them personally.  It had a great influence on the size of the crowd since most of the parishioners were working, we had to now have people come.  It finally got to a point where we had to advertise it as "By Reservation Only."

To the best of my knowledge, since the 1950s, there have only been two years that this annual pre election dinner has not been held and it has always been a huge success.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: