Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:02:59 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Should Vermont Seniors Face Driving Restrictions??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Should Vermont Seniors Face Driving Restrictions??  ( 8663 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 18, 2012, 07:30:56 AM »

Well, this is certainly a very emotional subject, especially for someone like me who is 78 years old.  Losing one's driving privilege is a very emotional thing.  I know that even though my father did not drive anymore, we still renewed his drivers license for him the last 8 or so years of his life.  I know that we have numerous people here in town who still maintain their independence because they are able to drive their cars.  The one thing different between them and the young man expressing his opinion in the video on Fox 44 is that they know they have limitations.  I have talked with a number of them who come to Senior Citizens and they do not drive in Burlington, but have no problem driving here to Fairfax for the Senior Citizens Luncheons.

Maybe it is because I personally am in the age bracket where my Driving Rights could be effected, but I certainly hope the legislature does not take away my privilege of driving down town here, where I meet friends, go to the stores and am able to maintain my independence and live along without relying on someone to taxi me around.

If you missed the topic last night on Fox 44 - Click on the link below:

http://www.fox44now.com/story/16539909/should-vermont-seniors-face-driving-restrictions
« : January 18, 2012, 09:14:37 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #1 : January 18, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »

So if your hearing is not good, you will no longer be able to drive?  Are we now going to prohibit all deaf people from havnig a license in VT...  If someone has a disability, say only one eye are we going to take their driving ability away as well? 

I think this is not an effective use of our time in the legislature.  How about working on some more important issues please.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
cedarman
: 370

« #2 : January 18, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »

If states base their claim that driving is a "Privilege" and they must control who is allowed that privilege for the safety of all citizens, then the logical conclusion (based on that premise) is that when a citizen can no longer meet the minimum "safety" standards, they can no longer be allowed to drive.

I don't believe hearing has anything to do with driving.  MOST new cars today are virtually sound proof to the outside world.

I also don't believe loss of vision in one eye disqualifies someone (I know a guy with only one eye who successfully competes in dirt track racing - track champion in his division two years ago).

While I may occassionlly be annoyed driving behind someone doing 35 in a 50 mph zone, I do recognize that a speed LIMIT is not a speed minimum, and any driver can travel at a slower speed. It's good that older drivers recognize they have slower reflexes and should travel slower to do so safely.

The biggest concern (in my opinion) would be the drivers with cognitive functions that have deteriorated to the point where they are no longer able to make safe, timely decision while driving.  Like "Do I have time to pull out into traffic (or turn in front of someone)"

cedarman

« #3 : January 18, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »

I don't mean to sound insensitive to Henry or any other chronologically experienced citizens.

In our present system, any state government could say it is up to the citizen to prove he/she is worthy (capable) of being allowed the "privilege" to drive.  The "proof" would be passing skills tests - just as young drivers do to earn their privilege.   They could make tests that would be difficult for many seniors to pass, or make them annual requirements (at the citizens expense of course). Or maybe the requirement would include an annual DR.'s physical (again, at the citizen's expense)

Personally, I believe we have a Right to travel which means the onus would be on governments to PROVE someone no longer had the ability to drive before they could restrict that person from doing so. 

It is a sensative subject for sure.  Anyone could raise a safety flag and declair this issue extremely important for the safety of everyone on or near the road. 
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : January 18, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »

Carl, I was aware when I put up my opinion on this that I would probably be in the minority, so not to worry about disagreeing with me, but for those not aware, taking the license away from an elderly person is kind of a traumatic thing.  I would hate to think of my sitting here at home alone day after day waiting for someone to give me a ride some place - I think I would have to be in pretty bad shape that the DMV would not allow me to at least drive within the Town of Fairfax - Now driving on a 3 or 4 lane interstate - Well that is a different story - I wouldn't even consider it.
« : January 18, 2012, 04:25:17 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
cedarman

« #5 : January 18, 2012, 04:22:04 PM »

the fact that you wouldn't consider driving in a situation that you don't feel you could handle is a good indicator that you drive responsibly.    It is the people who have deminished capacity to the point that they don't even realize they can't drive in heavy traffic anymore.  However, even then, I personally would still struggle with justifying taking away that persons right to move freely about our country. 
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #6 : January 18, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »

henry dont feel bad i think of following old people driving just as the pace car in the race,and really have saved me from getting a speeding ticket at times...so thank god for old people but your right mk the people down in the capital need to focus on other issues
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #7 : January 18, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »

Monday I find out if I can go back to driving and work soon.

Have to admit, I sort of don't miss it driving, yet.
Henry
Administrator

« #8 : January 18, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »

Great Mike!!

Henry Raymond
al brodeur
: 216

« #9 : January 18, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »

here in Pa they randomly ? pull senior drivers in for driving test, at what age this starts I do not know,but I know that I am approaching it although my neighbor 90+
has not taken a road test
AARP has the 55 and alive program for drivers which tries to make them aware of senior type problems and most insurance co's give a 5-10% discount to attendees
there are no writen test or road test after one attends the first time (required 3 year intervals) one can attend a refresher course ,which is 4 hrs vice 8
7F24
: 253

« #10 : January 19, 2012, 06:36:17 AM »

I don't think I've ever been to a roll over, or car 30 ft into the woods, or in the river, when a senior was driving.  That seems to be mostly the 16 to 25 year old group.  So who is really the most dangerous?
msm
: 211

« #11 : January 19, 2012, 11:51:01 AM »

Interesting Stuff  .. from my perspective our Seniors do a good job of monitoring Themselves ---

---  I drive in annoying heavy traffic everyday,  but I'm seeing an increase in fender-benders --- rear-end accidents
Gotta Assume TEXTING is the cause ---

From my perspective -- texting and driving is a REAL problem ---  I'm not sure of the fix -- but this should be addressed by our appointed government officials  -- leave the Seniors alone -- Go after the TEXTers ---

My 2 Cents --- Driving well at 52 and with ONE Functioning Eye -- and No Accidents since the late 70s.......   

Mike McNall
Norton
: 85

« #12 : January 22, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

Interesting that the young folks pushing this would think that a hearing test should be required.  Perhaps they should also have their hearing tested, but those tests would logically be conducted while they are wearing their "ear buds", since that's the usual configuration.
Lilone
: 81

« #13 : January 27, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »

What about the people who listen to their radio loudly, in a way their hearing is compromised to what's going on outside of the car just as it would be for somone who can't hear so well. . . Just throwing my two cents in
: [1]  
« previous next »
: