Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:12:41 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Handguns
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Handguns  ( 15614 )
CLach
: 98

« : October 24, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »

So my family and I have only been in VT for the last 3 yrs....with all of these recent breakins, my wife and I have been discussing owning a handgun, especially with 2 little children in the house.  We are very responsible people and have every intention of locking this weapon away and kept out of reach of the children of course. 
So this brings me to my question: Is it true that you dont need a permit or a license to purchase or carry a handgun or rifle in VT?  My home state of MA has much different laws I hear, I want to make sure I am following the laws of this great state.  Thank you, any input you could provide would be appreciated
trussell
: 870

« #1 : October 24, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »

That's absolutely true :)  no permit is needed to own or carry a gun- handgun, shotgun, rifle- in the state of Vermont.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/VTSL.pdf

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Scott
: 152

« #2 : October 24, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »

No permit is required. Here are the laws: http://www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/gun-laws.php

You can own a firearm in about 15 minutes.

For home defense, you're better off going with a shotgun.
« : October 24, 2011, 10:52:21 AM Scott »

Regards,
Scott
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #3 : October 24, 2011, 11:05:47 AM »

Stay clear of schools and federal buildings and you are good to go!! No permit to carry or own in our great state!!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
CLach
: 98

« #4 : October 24, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »

Thx all, appreciate all the feedback, all good stuff.   God I love this state
trussell
: 870

« #5 : October 24, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »

God I love this state

Me too, most of the time :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #6 : October 25, 2011, 07:40:23 AM »

Bob's Gun Shop in Georgia 524-4906

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
mirjo
: 785

« #7 : October 25, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »

Since we're on the subject of rifles & state laws:

Anyone have a clue about transporting rifles across state lines? I know Mass has a big sign about concealed weapons...

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #8 : October 25, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »

Massachusetts has gun laws to "keep people safe"

http://www.massgunlawreform.com/evidence.html

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Stand Alone Defense

« #9 : October 25, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »

Under federal law, a person is allowed to transport a firearm across state lines from a place where it is legal to possess the firearm to another place where it is legal to possess the same firearm. The firearm must be unloaded and in a locked case or the trunk.  Do not use the glove compartment or center console. Remember federal law overrides any state or local laws a buddy of mine that had to remind a MA police officer of this on his way from ME to AZ.  I believe there is something you can print off the ATF or NRA website that has the actual section of law printed on it.  It probably wouldn't hurt to carry it while traveling just in case you get pulled over by a LEO.

Stand Alone Defense

« #10 : October 25, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59]FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION
OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners` Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.
Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an "affirmative defense" that may only be raised after an arrest. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit has also recently held that FOPA`s protections only apply while the firearm is not readily accessible to the traveler, and that a firearm is readily accessible during a hotel stay

Courtesy of [url]http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

nancyd
: 304

« #11 : November 08, 2011, 07:06:29 PM »

I would recommend getting training in firearm safety once you make your purchase. You need to be comfortable, confident and safe. A good place for training is a local range. A home alarm system is helpful too!
I wish you good luck and safety!
Mummy
: 280

« #12 : November 08, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »

I vote for the gun over an alarm system!  In the event of an intruder, I want action not noise but that is just me.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #13 : November 11, 2011, 01:03:13 AM »

What Nancy said.

Take a class and learn the rules of force.
When, where, and who..

Me and the kid just had a debate about this.

He factually stated we do not need any permit or license in Alaska.

BUT I counter debated, that education and diploma or whatves, may save your butt if you get into an altercation if you are outside of your home. Legal wise. He is over twenty one and we goggled lawyer fees, alaska, misconduct firearms.

He is taking a class.

This story makes me think hmmmm....
My side of Anchorage,,, I love it!

http://www.adn.com/2011/11/10/2163898/police-say-two-dead-in-apparent.html

« : November 11, 2011, 01:05:50 AM Mike Raburn »
Thor

« #14 : November 11, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »

Mike,

That is a great story. Speaks volumes to being prepared for home defense. Now I am not a lawyer, but I do base things off of reasonable man theory. Those scumbags in that story, got exactly what they deserved. The bonus is that the police were actually able to identify accomplices and take them into custody. But, I predict at some point you will be able to read their names in the paper winding up the same way as the previous pair. But just gathering info from the story, sounds like Mr. James had some training. No mention of the number of rounds he fired, but it appears that both intruders were hit in the torso. Double taps I am hoping. Now I wonder what type of shooting stance he was in. Typical range instruction only teaches how to fire on the range. But I am sure that is a different stance than what he was probably in, either kneeling on the floor to open the safe or some other configuration. Again, this speaks to preparation. Think and train to the worst case scenario. Anyway. Great story. Thanks.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: