Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:23:32 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Migrant Farmers Traffic Stop in Vermont
« previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5
: Migrant Farmers Traffic Stop in Vermont  ( 52751 )
mirjo
: 785

« #45 : September 22, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »

Lisa,

I get where you are coming from.  But like every other topic we could choose, you can find another side of the story online.  I do agree 100% that their should be one way to handle these things for sure!

mk:

I totally agree, unfortunately the way of the press is such that it's nearly impossible to find unbiased reporting, which makes it difficult to believe any news source on the internet or TV. a lot of online "papers" are blogs written by people who aren't journalists and know nothing about reporting news. They just give their own opinion or a one-sided perspective. The political party writing the piece, determines which way it sways. It's important to read what everyone is up to, because it's the only way to get an accurate picture--on any subject. What's most interesting in the link you posted is the young girl who is doing a research paper. She nails the heart of the matter on the head, I think. Here are her comments and questions:

There seems to be a lot of crazy people with some very strong opinions writing  about immigration laws and policy. The mass amount of conversations on the web, ranging from, “I hate those Illegals,” to “Let my people go free,” makes it hard to just find out the, “Why” of illegal immigration.

1. Why do people immigrate to the US illegally? Is it that bad in Mexico?

2. How do they get here illegally? Does every one of them stow away in a semi truck trailer?

3. Why is illegal immigration a problem? Are current Americans afraid of Native American descendants taking back land?

4. Does anybody believe President Obama is doing anything about illegal immigration in the United States?

As seen here, this just goes round and round, like a dog chasing its tail, except the dog is amusing. ;-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #46 : September 22, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »

I hope we can all agree that we're very lucky to be living here !

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
tankkingvt
: 17

« #47 : September 22, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »

I am totally in favor of racial profiling if it concerns enforcement of state and/or federal law. 
al brodeur
: 216

« #48 : September 22, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »

for law enforcement I am all for profiling IE in southern jersey the state troopers are supposed to have had an 80% arrest and conviction rate for drug runners but that was racial profiling so it had to stop. but the biggest profilers go on and on they are the insurance co,
your familyhistory is usedfor life and health ins, drivers record and location for auto insurance location of your home and fire company rating for home owners and fire insurance it goes on and on
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #49 : September 23, 2011, 07:28:46 AM »

Police are identifying the driver of a truck pulled over during a controversial traffic involving suspected illegal immigrants.

50-year-old William Hoag was clocked going 88 in a 65mph zone.

The Randolph Center man only received a warning even though a motorist driving that speed is typically eligible for for a $227 traffic ticket.

That information and the driver's name were provided to Burlington Free Press following a public records request.

The two undocumented farm workers were arrested. The state is now reviewing the stop to see if police followed Vermont's bias- free policy.

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #50 : September 23, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »

Henry ,    As I'm sure others did also , I viewed the video of the traffic stop provided to the BFP by the VSP in yesterday's on-line edition . The trooper seemed concerned about safety on the highway , pointing out the rate of speed involved , empathetic to the immigrants problems , adhering to VSP guidelines and policy , and courteous to the passengers . If the potential lawsuit has any intention of showing this trooper as biased , certainly much more must have happened later , since I think he was doing his job and following current practices and policies . The investigation ordered by the Governor should most certainly show that the VSP who have traffic control on the highways operate in an unbiased manner and will force whoever would bring the suit to provide more then superficial possibilities .
A good and trusted friend of mine , now retired from law enforcement , always stressed one should investigate their own institution as to whether policies and procedures were followed prior to other agencies or groups coming forward to force queries. In cases like this , stonewalling rarely is successful and results usually provide needed support to the personnel .
In this case , it would appear that the Governor followed the path laid out by my law enforcement friend and that the VSP personnel , at least on the front lines , are doing their job correctly .     
Kathleen
: 167

« #51 : September 23, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »

This case may not bode well for the VSP now that the driver was let off with just a warning for speeding more than 20mph over the speed limit.  One could question whether this was a set-up.
Thor

« #52 : September 24, 2011, 09:57:25 AM »

Perhaps Kathleen is onto something here. Maybe we all "assumed" that Shumlin launched an investigation into VSP policies and procedures regarding the illegal immigrants... but in fact, launched an investigation into why the Trooper gave up an opportunity to collect $227 in revenue. If this is the case, my bet is that the Trooper gets dismissed and the illegals are put into the Vermont State Police Training Academy, as their language skills will assist in future VSP encounters with other illegals.

Yup, I bet that's it!
Scott
: 152

« #53 : September 24, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »

All the information given to the LEO was consensual . It was just another fishing trip that got a nice hook.

How different this story could of been if the parties involved just remained silent.

Regards,
Scott
Thor

« #54 : September 24, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »

Will also be a great day when it is no big deal how LE personnel interdict/arrest/detain illegals, and the illegals are then immediately processed for transfer to the closet port of their country of origin. Obviously we would have to foot the bill for their transfer back, but it would certainly be less than what they cost the system now.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #55 : October 13, 2011, 05:22:26 AM »

http://www.wcax.com/story/15680317/vt-trooper-cleared-in-migrant-farmworker-traffic-stop

CLEARED!!!! doing their job by the book!! It's to bad this even made the news I feel bad for the trooper!!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #56 : October 13, 2011, 06:15:40 AM »

The State Police Advisory Commission (SPAC) is a statutorily created body appointed by the Governor.  One of the duties of SPAC is to provide advice and counsel to the Commissioner of Public Safety regarding internal investigations and discipline.  In that role, SPAC has reviewed the internal investigation conducted in response to an allegation that Trooper Jared Hatch violated the Vermont State Police Bias Free Policy when he detained two illegal immigrants during a motor vehicle stop on September 13, 2011.  SPAC has also examined Trooper Hatch’s actions to determine whether there was a violation of related policies concerning investigative motor vehicle stops and victim’s assistance.

After giving due consideration to information gathered in the course of the investigation, SPAC has reached the following conclusions:

1.  Trooper Hatch had probable cause to believe that a motor vehicle violation – excessive speed – had occurred and therefore his stop of the vehicle was lawful.  Additionally, the decision to stop the vehicle was not motivated by the passengers’ actual or perceived race, color or national origin because the occupants of the vehicle were not visible to Trooper Hatch at the time that he initiated the stop.

2.  Trooper Hatch was both courteous and expeditious in his handling of the motor vehicle stop.

3.   During the stop Trooper Hatch made observations which, based upon his extensive training particularly in the area of drug interdiction, alerted him to the possibility that persons within the vehicle were engaged in criminal conduct.  These observations included excessive nervousness and inconsistent answers on the part of the passengers as well as failure to make eye contact.

4.   Trooper Hatch’s questioning of the passengers was not motivated by the passengers’ actual or perceived race, color or national origin.  The questioning by Trooper Hatch was consistent with the approach he has utilized in other stops irrespective of race, color or national origin and was in keeping with training that he has received as a law enforcement officer.

5.    The passengers did not constitute crime victims or witnesses under Vermont State Police policy and therefore it was not improper for Trooper Hatch to ask about immigration status or to report the immigration status of the passengers to the appropriate authorities.

Based upon the foregoing conclusions, SPAC is of the opinion that the actions of Trooper Hatch were free of improper bias and in compliance with all applicable policies.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Dick Brown
: 414

« #57 : October 13, 2011, 07:29:58 AM »

I'm pleased that the investigation cleared the Trooper ,as most viewers of the video on the BFP on-line would probably agree was the correct thing to do , and glad also that the advisory group found the VSP had not violated it's own policy . However , the question remains , why was a warning mailed to the driver instead of a $ 266.00 ticket being issued for the traffic violation ? 
trussell
: 870

« #58 : October 13, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »

Mr. Brown, it's not uncommon to receive a warning as most departments in Vermont don't have "quotas" anymore.  I know an officer who issues a warning after he writes 3 tickets (unless the person is a jerk).

Unfortunately, I have only received tickets (probably because of my association with Rod Anode)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #59 : October 13, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »

I have yet to ever receive a ticket but I have received a few warnings.  From what I hear though it is easy for people to get out of tickets in Vermont, wait maybe that's only if you're running for Governor. LOL

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
: