Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:49:51 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Announcements
| | |-+  Pick Your Own Raspberries At Riverberry
« previous next »
: [1]
: Pick Your Own Raspberries At Riverberry  ( 2375 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 31, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »

Hi,

We have some great news!  The fall raspberries didn't seem to mind the deluge and the picking is good so come on over.  Same hours as always, 8 am to 6 pm everyday.  It's self-serve.  Stop at the stand and pick up containers.  You can drive or walk out to the field, following the signs on where to go.  The berries are $4.50/lb for pick your own.

Thanks to the many who wrote and asked how we have fared through the flooding.  Much of our farm is beautiful floodplain land which, as the name suggests, floods, but not usually during the growing season.   We have some substantial crop loss, 10 - 15% of the year's crop value, but not nearly as bad as many farms.  What you will notice at the farm stand is the short gap in sweet corn and long gap in lettuce.  Thanks for your patience on this. 

Meanwhile, many of you gardeners may be getting late blight in your solanaceous plants:  tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant.  Pick off and discard affected plant parts in tightly closed garbage bags, not the compost.  If you have a substantial potato field, mow down affected potato plants and leave the potatoes underground for 3 weeks until the mowed plants are totally dead.  Late blight can only survive on live plant material.  You should be able to harvest your potatoes then, but be really thorough in your harvest.  Late blight will survive on the potatoes left in the ground, which when tilled up next year will only help spread it again...

Sorry about the gloomy overtone.  There is still a bounty of food in the stand so come out over!

Good Eating!
Jane, David, the kids and the crew at
River Berry Farm

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: