Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:54:25 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Fairfax Budget & Fireworks
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Fairfax Budget & Fireworks  ( 14204 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : July 04, 2011, 05:59:07 AM »

Should Fairfax add $8,000 to the Town Budget for:

A Fourth of July fireworks show at a sight to be determined
and
upkeep and purchase of new American flags for Main Street.

Happy Independence Day !!!

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
fletchtb
: 310

« #1 : July 04, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »

I am not a Fairfax resident so I don't have a horse in this race, but it might be helpful to know what the financial impact of this $8K line item would be on the tax payer. Would it be difficult to calculate the cost to the owner of a $150K, $200K, and $250K house using last year's tax rate?
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #2 : July 04, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »

I would vote yes I miss the Fire works!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : July 04, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »

I would like to see a breakdown of the costs.
slpott
: 457

« #4 : July 04, 2011, 08:38:15 AM »

I vote yes.
trussell
: 870

« #5 : July 04, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »

I would vote yes, knowing that the town budget overall is a very small part of my total tax bill.  I honestly wouldn't care of the town taxes (which provide me with more direct benefit than school taxes) doubled!  According to Wikipedia, "As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 3,765 people, 1,222 households, and 966 families residing in the town"?  That's around $6.50 per household. Of course the range would probably be between $3 and $9 per household...  Regardless I vote yes :)

I'm torn between having an attitude of "being annoyed that the Select Board makes a big deal over $5,000 and $10,000 expenses, but takes the liberty of making their own decisions on much larger issues" and one of "being grateful that the Select Board involves the citizens in decisions".  Either way, I'm still thankful for them volunteering for the job.

Ok... I'm off to enjoy my Independence Day in Chittenden County. :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
kevin
: 64

« #6 : July 06, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »

Yes.  Bring back the fireworks!

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
-Winston Churchill
Norton
: 85

« #7 : July 08, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »

What happened to all the fiscal conservatives?  OK, it's not a lot of money, but is it the role of government to burn up our tax dollars so that some of us can watch some light and hear some explosions?

I'd rather spend it on sidewalks.

Or not spend it at all.
LauriH
: 53

« #8 : July 08, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »

yeah, thats a good idea.  Let's spend it on sidewalks we can't maintain!
Cat

« #9 : July 08, 2011, 01:03:06 PM »

We spend money on community day & other events during the year so, why not a 4th of July Celebration to bring the community together & celebrate.
monte198
: 79

« #10 : July 08, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »

i would like to see the fireworks come back for the amount of money per household it isn't that much.  Where they are to be set off is another aspect that should be discussed.  Its nice to have a celebration at the school but i think the fireworks should be shot off from a higher location like j/l field it offers parking and would draw a large deal of business to the pantry and surrounding stores.  With that elevation it would be easier for more people to see i bet you could even see them from the school.  I think a petition should be handed out again and voted on so all could have a voice.  Or at a very least a survey distributed by mail or posted at local stores.

Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #11 : July 08, 2011, 02:33:20 PM »

yeah, thats a good idea.  Let's spend it on sidewalks we can't maintain!

that's the type of attitude and attackign of others ideas that creates the partisan bs that we have in politics and any other debate there is.

Serisouly - that couldn't have been phrased differently and still hold the same weight if not more?  Like " More sidewalsk in town would be great.. but what about not being able to maintain the ones we do have?"

What happened to all the fiscal conservatives?  OK, it's not a lot of money, but is it the role of government to burn up our tax dollars so that some of us can watch some light and hear some explosions?

I'd rather spend it on sidewalks.

Or not spend it at all.

I like this sentiment - as our community votes red in elections - and the 'red' is about being conservative.  YET - this is about celebrating what?  Our heritage, our birth or escape from the rule of the king, our CHOICE to become a country of debated and democratic decision making..... Ugghhhh.  That's a tough one - if there ever was a reason to spend some of everyone's money - doing it remeberance and perhaps reminding us at the same time of WHY and for what reason we're here may not be such a bad idea...... i think we need more reminders of these basic tenets of our governing system - and get away from the "NO!, our way is the best way, not the other sides and because we have majority - we're goign to hold firm on that"  SOOO sick of this crap from both sides blue - red, conservative - liberal... (sobbing comically)"can't we all just get along!"

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #12 : July 08, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »

oh yes I`M all for it chris,things that go boom
LauriH
: 53

« #13 : July 08, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »

loctavius, my "attitude and I were not "attacking" anyone.  Norton simply expressed their opinion for more sidewalks in town, and I expressed my opinion of not wanting to heap more sidewalks upon unmaintained sidewalks.  We both have valid opinions.

But hey, thanks for calling me out on the carpet, don't worry my attitude and I won't take it personaly.
Norton
: 85

« #14 : July 09, 2011, 07:04:57 AM »

Norton simply expressed their opinion for more sidewalks in town, and I expressed my opinion of not wanting to heap more sidewalks upon unmaintained sidewalks

I'm not actually pushing for sidewalks in particular, I guess I worded that badly.  I was just using sidewalks as an example of something that could be of practical benefit to the town.  I could have just as easily used maintainance of town roads, paint for the town clerk's office, fire department equipment, snowplowing, or whatever.  The main point is some things are an appropriate use of tax dollars and some things aren't.  I think fireworks fall outside of the role of government and are an inappropriate use of public money.

this is about celebrating what?  Our heritage, our birth or escape from the rule of the king, our CHOICE to become a country of debated and democratic decision making..... Ugghhhh.  That's a tough one - if there ever was a reason to spend some of everyone's money - doing it remeberance and perhaps reminding us at the same time of WHY and for what reason we're here may not be such a bad idea

This is the reason why we will never have a logical, sensible discussion about fireworks.  I can accept that.  I'm just trying to point out that there's a lot of talk these days about scaling back government and reducing tax burdens, and that any sane analysis of how we spend public money would place fireworks at or near the bottom of the priority list.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: