Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:49:07 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Flooding Clean Up JOBS
« previous next »
: [1]
: Flooding Clean Up JOBS  ( 2795 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : June 30, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »

Delegation and Governor announce $1.2 million emergency grant to create flooding clean-up jobs

BURLINGTON, VT, June 30 – Vermont's congressional delegation – Sen. Patrick Leahy (D), Sen. Bernie Sanders (I) and Rep. Peter Welch (D) – and Gov. Peter Shumlin (D) on Thursday announced a $1.2 million National Emergency Grant (NEG) from the US Dept of Labor to create jobs for displaced workers and long-term unemployed Vermonters to help with flooding clean-up.

The grant of $1,201,250 being awarded to the Vermont Department of Labor will create about 75 temporary jobs for eligible dislocated workers to assist with clean-up and recovery efforts in all counties declared by the federal government as “disaster areas” as a result of the effects of this spring's severe storms and flooding.

In a joint statement, Sen. Leahy, Sen. Sanders, Rep. Welch and Gov. Shumlin congratulated the Vermont Department of Labor for seeking innovative ways to help Vermonters and secure this funding.

"These jobs are timely, this help is practical, and it is on target for Vermont’s needs right now in the flooding aftermath. This federal assistance will help put struggling Vermonters back to work while at the same time helping the state recover from this disaster,” they said.

The funds will be used to provide temporary employment on projects to assist with clean-up, demolition, repair, renovation and reconstruction of destroyed public and non-profit structures, facilities and lands within Addison, Chittenden, Essex, Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille and Orleans counties.

In addition, the funds can be used to perform work on the homes of economically disadvantaged individuals who are eligible for the Federally-funded weatherization program, with priority given to services for the elderly and individuals with disabilities. 

The Vermont Department of Labor will be providing more information about how to request flood clean-up assistance. 

Vermonters interested in a temporary job under this program will be able to apply through the VDOL regional offices.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: