Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:20:04 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  How to handle and observed situation?
« previous next »
: [1]
: How to handle and observed situation?  ( 6040 )
cedarman
: 370

« : June 07, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »

I'm interested in how people (especially law enforcement experienced people) think the following situation would best be handled?

I stopped to a  store (here in Fairfax) last night about 9:30.  When I came out, there was a car parked between me and the south end of the store with 2 individuals inside. A third, maybe in his early 20's, had just gotten out and was walking toward the entrance.  He walked past the entrance around the north end of the store.  As my brother-in-law and I were slowly (very slowly) driving north in the parking lot, we observed the "passenger" approach a two door red car (with at least a driver and 1 passenger), stand there for about 5 seconds and then turned and walked away.

I considered pulling up behind the car, record a plate # and then drive off, but gave consideration to the near fatal (potentially drug related) beating in fairfax last year, and decided I was better off just going home.

Should I have stopped in the parking lot and immediately called 911?  Would it have made a difference?

I plan to visit the store owner tonight to inform him of what I saw and recommend he might want to install some extra lighting  and maybe camera's in his parking lot.

Just wondering what other people think should have / could have been done?
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #1 : June 07, 2011, 02:33:26 PM »

Only call 911 in an emergency.
Call 524-5993 for Vermont State Police.

If you can't get a plate number, is a tail light out ?
What kind of car is it: 2-dr, 4-dr, mini suv ? old/new, rusty/shiny, noisy ? Colors are tough at night.
Is there something to identify the vehicle and what direction is it heading.

Carry a piece of paper and a pen (all good reporters do). Write down the details and call.

Don't try to be a hero, you pay taxes for a reason !
Talking to the store owner helps too.

And don't forget, the kid might just be returning a borrowed I-Pod, or something else.
Innocent until...............

Recently, VSP were in a store parking lot, lights off, (not in Fairfax),
when a few kids came into the lot for a little party in their car.
The trooper surprised them !!!

That's my two cents.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : June 07, 2011, 04:48:47 PM »

call josh
cedarman
: 370

« #3 : June 08, 2011, 07:17:07 AM »

"And don't forget, the kid might just be returning a borrowed I-Pod, or something else.
Innocent until..............."

I just described what I observed without stating my assumption about what "MIGHT" have been happening.  (I'm pretty sure one person returning an iPod would have just pulled up next to the friends car.)
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #4 : June 08, 2011, 08:44:02 AM »

good point.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #5 : June 08, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »

Ahhhhh Yes Cedarman.  I did something really stupid about a year or so ago.  was coming up Route 104A and on the Georgia End where the old brick house is on the right, saw somebody climbing in through a window.  I went by and drove by and saw a car in the yard, so drove up behind it, grabbed a pencil & paper and wrote down the license number.  As I was doing that a girl walked out the front door, so I backed out and left, keeping watch in my rear view mirror to see if anybody was behind me.  Luckily nobody was.  When I got home, told Maryann who told me I should call the State Police, which I did.

I received a call back from the State Police, who told me that the person living there had had a party earlier in the day and the owner of the car had been there and the homeowner knew her.  Apparently she saw something she wanted when she was there earlier and decided to come back and get it.

I did appreciate the State Police calling me back and telling me what was going on, but in the future, probably would not drive in the yard and do what I did.

Henry Raymond
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #6 : June 08, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »

Like Chris said the best thing to do is take the plates and info and pass it on to VSP.  VSP has a drug task force that is very active and every bit of Intel we feed them is helpful.  This might have been the first time you have seen this person/vehicle but maybe the task force has 5 other reports of the same person/vehicle involved in this same activity.  Maybe VSP runs the plate and it comes back that the subject is on probation or parole or even has an ongoing drug investigation with VSP.  Also a lot of times if you can see money and/or drugs exchanging hands if there is a Trooper in the area they will conduct a traffic stop on the vehicle. Really the best policing in the world is a concerned citizen, after all cop does stands for Citizen on Patrol. You should never hesitate to report something if you think that it warrants it.

You can of course call me with the info if you do not want to get involved and I will pass it on to the VSP Drug Task Force.  
« : June 08, 2011, 09:12:46 AM FXDHS »

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
trussell
: 870

« #7 : June 08, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »

Really? I always thought COP stood for Constable On Patrol.  Huh.

I hate being wrong. :(

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #8 : June 09, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »

Gee, Trevor, I would have said " Constable on Patrol," too.
Razzle Dazzle

« #9 : June 10, 2011, 05:22:57 AM »

I hope when my step-daughter approaches me sitting in my truck, and stands there for 5 seconds...no body thinks they have to call the police.
I'm just sayin'.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #10 : June 11, 2011, 01:03:19 AM »

I thought COP was for the copper buttons on the old timey uniforms?

Seems to be a dissension here!!

Let's look on Wikipedia.....yah right, as if.
Josh will edit it....
: [1]  
« previous next »
: