Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:51:45 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Tuesday's Joint Fiscal meeting
« previous next »
: [1]
: Tuesday's Joint Fiscal meeting  ( 2828 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : November 09, 2011, 09:42:46 AM »

On Tuesday this week the Joint Fiscal committee met at the statehouse to hear reports on the status of money issues from the Legislative Joint Fiscal Office and from the Administration.

State revenues continue to come in slightly above target.

The Governor has asked state officials and agencies to keep their budgets 4% lower than last year. Budget proposals from the administration are expected to be presented to the legislature by December 12. Of course, work is already well underway.

The committee heard there is a possibility the statewide Education Property Tax for next year may increase 2 cents. Reasons for this include an expected spending increase by  schools statewide of 1.7% , the declining statewide grand list, a $6.1 million increase in the General Fund transfer, and the statutory increase in the base education payment to $8891 per pupil. I'll be sure to send along more information on education taxes later, but for now, know that I plan to argue against this 2 cent increase and am hopeful I can get the Ways and Means committee to lower it somewhat. Stay tuned.

Much of the information received by the Joint Fiscal Committee concerned recovery  from Irene. An information packed report from Neale Lunderville reviewed the numbers of state/local roads and bridges that remain closed. He also reported on the terrific work  done by state transportation workers in the last 2 months to get many structures repaired and usable. Commissioner  Lunderville gave several reasons why the state needs to have the federal repair cap of $100 million lifted. The congressional delegation is working to get this achieved. Total transportation repairs may cost as much as $250 million. Much work has been done by Assistant Commissioner Jen Hallenbeck to help Vermonters whose homes were damaged by the storm to find safe adequate housing.  Work on determining impact of changes in the rivers has begun by the Agency of  Natural Resources. The bottom line for total cost of Irene repair is still too early to pin down.  However, the Commissioner of Finance and Management Jim Reardon, well known in state government for his steady hand, is keeping an eye on all storm related money, assuring allocations are correct and that records of  storm related expenditures are audit ready. This guy always impresses me. 

Please feel free to contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us. I want to hear from you.

Last, I very much appreciate the expressions of concern and good wishes for my husband following his accident in the woods last month. Chris is back on his feet and has returned to work.  Thank you all. Franklin County really is the best place on earth.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives 

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: