Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:50:31 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Federal Government Hits Debt Ceiling: Raids From Pensions
« previous next »
: [1]
: Federal Government Hits Debt Ceiling: Raids From Pensions  ( 4623 )
David Shea
: 471

« : May 16, 2011, 09:20:41 PM »

The Fed has exhausted it's debt limit... and can no longer borrow.  Federal retirement funds are being used to float the government.  What will they do next? 

Follow the link for more details....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/treasury-to-tap-pensions-to-help-fund-government/2011/05/15/AF2fqK4G_story.html?hpid=z1
« : May 17, 2011, 06:37:46 AM David Shea »
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #1 : May 17, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »

Yeah that is awesome!! Really makes you wonder how all these politicians managed to make it all the way to this point.  With their sense of decision making how they got through their childhood without choking on a marble or getting hit playing in traffic at 3 years old baffles me.LOL

Hopefully something changes soon cause it sure doesn't seem that we are heading for good times!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
cedarman
: 370

« #2 : May 17, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »

I'll admit, I haven't read the article yet.  My intial response to the news is I bet they don't raid the congressional pension plan
al brodeur
: 216

« #3 : May 17, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »

I do not think that any elected official should recieve a pension or health benifits. how many times have you heard a politician state " I am running to help the people" this way they would prove it and any time one gets caught in a lie fine them $100, there would soon be no national debt and a lot less BS from them
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #4 : May 18, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »

bernie says that ALOT
kevin
: 64

« #5 : May 18, 2011, 10:03:09 PM »

The gov't spends $125 BILLION more per month than it takes in!  That sounds sustainable.  How can these people not realize there is a problem that needs to be solved NOW?

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
-Winston Churchill
mirjo
: 785

« #6 : May 22, 2011, 05:56:23 AM »

“Everything should be on the table, except raising taxes,” House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” “Because raising taxes will hurt our economy and hurt our ability to create jobs in our country.”

Is it me, or is this just getting old?

I'm just wondering where are these jobs? Weren't taxes cut about 10 years ago? Hasn't there been an on going tax-job argument for close to 4 years now about taxes and jobs? Unless I'm missing something, I haven't seen anything happen, just a lot of talk about it.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Norton
: 85

« #7 : May 23, 2011, 06:05:51 AM »

yes mirjo, that fallacy is getting old, but don't expect them to stop saying it.  Part of the strategy is that if elected officials say something enough times, eventually some folks start believing it.  Never mind that most economists agree that if you want to stimulate the economy with tax cuts, the cuts should go to the middle and lower classes, because they will spend the money, and they'll spend it here in the US.  Tax cuts for the wealthy are more likely to end up as savings or overseas investments.  Yes, you can argue that more money for the wealthy means more money available for investment (and it does, to a degree), but most economists think stimulating demand by giving the cuts to those who drive the demand is actually more effective.  The demand creates the investment that creates the jobs.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: