Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:42:29 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Historical Society Meeting-May 15th-Adventures in Metal Detecting
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Historical Society Meeting-May 15th-Adventures in Metal Detecting  ( 4394 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : May 03, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »

The Fairfax Historical Society will be meeting Sunday May 15, 2011 at 6:30pm in the Fairfax Community Library.
Ever wonder what people have dropped over the years? Fairfax resident Don Fleming does metal detecting and has found many items and historical artifacts walking across an open field, or through some woods, or even in a stream. Don will share some of his adventures and will have some of the items he has found on display.
The public is invited to attend.
For more information, please call 849-6638.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
MikeF9

« #1 : May 15, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »

Just a reminder tonight is the meeting.
Don will bring a lighted magnifying glass in case people want to take a closer look at some of the atrifacts.

Also, we will have on display a picture from the 1947 Vermont State Music Festival in Burlington. It is a group picture of all the schools participating that year. BFA Fairfax is in the front row. Janet (Stewart) Geer donated the picture. She is in it. It's quite impressive to see.

Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : May 15, 2011, 01:58:09 PM »

Mike                     Never have seen that picture , but I believe Sterling Weed was the Band Director at that time . He never marched with the band at the Festivals....usually it was the job of the Headmaster ( Principal ) to accompany and also march with the band . Later in the 60's the Head Majorette ( Louise Hubbert , June McNall for example ) took the place of the Principal.  If it's possible , let me know if Sterling is in the picture with the 1947 version of the band .
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : May 16, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »

Had an excellent meeting last night with Don Flemming showing some of his collection of items he has discovered in his metal detecting hobby.  Back in 2004, Don had come to one of our meetings and showed us the items and I had taken some photos at that time.

If you would like to see a slide show with a description of the items, you can do so by clicking on the following link:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/photos/slideshow.php?set_albumName=fhs_040524

You can also look at the individual photos by clicking on the thumbnails and reading the description by clicking on the following link:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/photos/fhs_040524

Henry Raymond
MikeF9

« #4 : May 16, 2011, 08:09:27 AM »

Dick,
Sterling Weed was NOT in the picture. Janet Geer said that, indeed, it was the principal who marched with the students.

Dick Brown
: 414

« #5 : May 16, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »

Mike                    Thanks for taking the time to pass that info on. Sounds like it was a good meeting and it also sounds like you're doing a wonderful job as President of the FHS .   Thanks again.   
: [1]  
« previous next »
: