Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:14:12 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Little League Fence
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Little League Fence  ( 19482 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #15 : April 25, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »

Replying to Norton,

with a disclaimer first: I support Vermont's Billboard law, but believe the size and distance from the road in this situation deserve consideration.

It's the revenue for the league.
Advertisers (sponsors) want their names advertised.

When I was a kid we used to have the business on our uniforms.
That seemed to work back then, but I was just a kid.

And, Mike, this is not a Republican/Democrat thing.
Now that I have had more time, I have contacted Gilbert, Kittell, Brock, Savage, Dickenson, Condon and Consejo.
We'll need support from more than just our community.

Gotta go get Cale from school........

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #16 : April 25, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »

Just got an e-mail back from Rob Howard, FFWLL President:

About 12 signs at $275 per = $ 3,300 revenue for the league.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« #17 : April 26, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »

I had the opportunity to address this issue with a member of the judiciary committee, the assistant secretary of transportation, vice-chair of transportation and Carolyn.. A bill that deals with many other items also contains the issue of bill boards and is now in conference committee. When this bill first passed the House there was a great deal of discussion about writing exemptions for different groups or situations and no exemptions were included.
   Off premises signs are the issue here and are covered by our bill board laws. The major difficulty is how to apply the law fairly to everyone.  The agency of transportation can not be placed in a position of deciding which signs support things they like and which signs support something they do not like. If the law were not enforced uniformly it raises the issue of equal speech. If all signs were prohibited it would treat everyone equally and there is no discrimination. If exemptions were granted for some groups it raises the issue of discrimination or of prohibiting equal access. If some groups were allowed exemptions it would also mean that our bill board law could be overturned and the state would be left with no regulation over signs on or off a premises.
   It is clear to me that the AOT sees the signs facing traffic as a violation of existing rules and as off premises advertisements. Inward facing signs however are for those that chose to watch games and are recognition of the support local business have given to our young athletes. It is the owner of the property that is responsible for complying with the law. The best action would be to thank Jim and Lena for the use of their property, thank the merchants who have supported the little league, and adjust the signs to comply with the law.

Gary
sdogallen
: 51

« #18 : April 26, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »

Thanks Gary for the clarification. Now maybe we can get past THIS and get mother nature on our side and then..... PLAY BALL!!!!
Chris Santee

« #19 : April 27, 2011, 06:30:25 AM »

No exemptions ???
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24500002/ns/us_news-life/

from the article:
No 'slippery slope'
State Senate President Pro Tem Peter Shumlin, a Democrat whose district includes Bellows Falls, called the state's position absurd.

"There's no one that would fight harder for upholding Vermont's billboard law than me. But this is an example where bureaucrats in government are not exercising common sense when they interpret Vermont's billboard law," Shumlin said. "I don't believe anyone can logically argue that this is the beginning of a slippery slope."

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
lena6
: 357

« #20 : April 27, 2011, 06:35:25 AM »

Just so everyone knows, we are going to tell Rob to turn the fence advertising in toward the infield.  If they make an exception for us, everyone will want one.  I personally hate the billboards along the road, starting when you cross the line into New York.  Would not want  that for Vermont, we are a beautiful state, lets leave it that way.  Enough said on this.  Please everyone, lets just drop it.
lena6

« #21 : April 27, 2011, 06:36:59 AM »

Gary, thank you for responding so quick and for calling.  Good job.
Norton
: 85

« #22 : April 27, 2011, 06:56:17 AM »

Thanks, Lena

Just to be clear, I totally support the Little League, played myself here in Fairfax (almost 50 years ago!).  My comment was only intended to point out that the billboard law exists for good reason, and any exceptions should be carefully considered and substantiated.  I kind of like the idea that the state has decided not to grant exceptions.  By far, the most easily-administered number of exceptions to any law is zero. 

Chris, I get the fact that the signs are "revenue for the league", but that point could be made about any sign, and therefore isn't really a reason for an exception.

But the main reason I'm posting right now is to thank Lena and Jim for donating the use of their land, and for all the other generous ways in which they support our town.  Lena, I appreciate your gracious suggestion to "just drop it", but before we do that, I've got to say, "Thanks".
Chris Santee

« #23 : April 27, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »

Lena's wish is my command.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Margie
: 156

« #24 : April 27, 2011, 01:37:32 PM »

Lena, you and Jim are treasures to the town of Fairfax.  Thank you for all the work you do.  And you are on class act, lady.  :-)
lena6

« #25 : May 10, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »

Jim met with 2 guys from VTTrans and we are going to move the signs to face infield.  If you go by the billboard law, they are considered billboards.  Thay are advertising businesses not located on the premises.  And if you think about it, more people will see them if they are turned.  Lets hope no one reads them all when they are driving by.  Have a great day.
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: