Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:07:58 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  2 tax questions
« previous next »
: [1]
: 2 tax questions  ( 3154 )
trussell
: 870

« : March 22, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »

I have two questions, sort of tax related.  Contrary to some earlier posts, I'm actually serious! :)

1) Can anyone tell me approximately how much (percentage) of the state and federal gas tax is directly used for roads/transportation?  I've heard that a majority of it- at least at the state level- just goes into the general fund.  Is this true and if so, why?  That's like taxing fast food, alcohol, or tobacco and not using it to fund health care.  I've always thought that the tax should match the expense...

2) Why is Vermont opposed to toll booths?  I have no problem paying a toll as long as the roads are maintained.  While I'm at it, lets privatize those rest areas and let them earn some income, at least sales tax, for the state!

Thanks,
Trevor

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
David Shea
: 471

« #1 : March 22, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »

Trevor,
I do not have the answer to question #1.

My wife and I have also asked the same question about tolls & privatizing the rest areas.  My understanding of why this can't happen is that the VT Interstates were paid for with Federal Funding therefore for profit businesses can not benefit by setting  up shop or running tolls.

Portions of NY Highways were developed by private investors & therefore those sections have tolls.

FYI, I didn't read this on the internet, I asked this question of a family friend some time ago and this was the answer that he gave me.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: