Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:11:20 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Winter Storm Watch - 4 to 8 inches of snow possible
« previous next »
: [1]
: Winter Storm Watch - 4 to 8 inches of snow possible  ( 9599 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 05, 2011, 08:28:52 AM »

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...CHAMPLAIN VALLEY OF VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW
YORK...AND ALL OF NORTHERN VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...MODERATE SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL MIX WITH RAIN SUNDAY AFTERNOON THEN CHANGE TO
ALL SNOW SUNDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH...BACKING TO SOUTHEAST AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE MID 30S SUNDAY DROP INTO THE UPPER
TEENS AND LOWER 20S SUNDAY NIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Henry Raymond
FletcherGram
: 103

« #1 : March 05, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »

Heard an updated weather report on the radio about a hour ago. It said by the time it's all done on Monday--8-18."
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : March 05, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »

Mary Kay was over and told me that - I just checked and when I came back to update, you had already beat me to it.  I had better take a photo of the bare blacktop in the driveway I guess.

Henry Raymond
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #3 : March 05, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »

we lose 4 inches and gain 14 sounds like my diet
mirjo
: 785

« #4 : March 05, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »

UGH.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Judi
: 508

« #5 : March 05, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »

I think we are in for a lot of flooding this Spring with the heavy snowfall totals and now the heavy rainfall.
Razzle Dazzle

« #6 : March 06, 2011, 06:39:46 AM »

Mary Kay was over and told me that - I just checked and when I came back to update, you had already beat me to it.  I had better take a photo of the bare blacktop in the driveway I guess.

As of this writing...back down to 6-10" inches of snow.
I'm hoping for much less, or better yet, just rain.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #7 : March 06, 2011, 08:55:04 AM »

The NWS in burlington has issued a
Flood warning for urban areas and small streams in, franklin county in northwest Vermont
Until 830 pm est Sunday
At 825 am est law enforcement reported an ice jam near montgomery causing route 118 to be impacted.
The combination of warm temperatures and snow melt has resulted in rapid rises on smaller streams and tributaries into the missisquoi river basin, causing ice jams to form. These ice jams will cause minor low lying field flooding and could impact highways along the missisquoi river basin, including route 118, route 105, and route 58.
At 825 am est local law enforcement reported flooding was occurring around montgomery and is impacting route 118.
This areal flood warning replaces the urban and small stream flood advisory which was in effect for franklin county.
Some towns that may experience flooding include, berkshire, east enosburg, highgate center, east highgate, sheldon junction, and sheldon springs.
Precautionary/preparedness actions,
Ice jams are very unpredictable and can break up, move, and jam again very quickly. Water backing up behind the jam can flood areas under deep water with surprising speed. Favored ice jam locations are where a river bends or slows, at bridge abutments, or near islands, sandbars and other obstructions to flow.
A flood warning means that flooding is imminent or has been reported. All interested parties should take necessary precautions immediately.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #8 : March 06, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »

Issued at: 2:31 PM EST 3/6/11, expires at: 6:15 AM EST 3/7/11

Winter storm warning now in effect until 1 pm est Monday.
The NWS in burlington has extended the winter storm warning, until 1 pm est Monday.
Locations, central and northern champlain valley as well as parts of northern Vermont.
Hazard types, heavy snow.
Accumulations, 10 to 20 inches of snow, with isolated higher amounts possible.
Timing, snow, heavy at times through early Monday morning.
Impacts, the heavy wet snow will cause isolated power outages, along with hazardous driving conditions tonight. Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour will be possible tonight.
Winds, north 5 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
Temperatures, in the lower 20s.
Visibilities, below one half of a mile at times.
Please submit any storm reports at www.weather.gov/btv.
Please stay tuned to noaa weather radio, your local media, or go to www.weather.gov/burlington for further updates on this weather situation.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #9 : March 06, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »

Exercise Safety in Storm
WATERBURY, VT –Rain, sleet, freezing rain, and snow have been falling throughout Vermont on Sunday and much of that precipitation is expected to continue into Monday.  The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning, Winter Storm Advisory, Flood Watch, or a combination of alerts in all areas of Vermont into Monday.

Ice and snow are making travel hazardous in several areas of the state and localized flooding has closed a number of roads throughout Vermont.  Motorists are urged to respect all detour signs and never drive across a flooded road.  Floodwaters can cause unseen washouts, or create a strong current; both of which can cause your car to be swept away.  For road conditions call 511 or visit www.511vt.com.

Vermont Emergency Management, the Vermont State Police, Vermont Fire Safety, and Vermont Department of Health are encouraging Vermonters to take care to remain safe and healthy during the storms.

Residents should use caution when digging out from the storm.  Excessive snow shoveling can cause a range of health problems, from back injuries to heart attack, if not done in moderation.  Vermonters should not over exert themselves and should take frequent breaks from shoveling.
Vermonters who are able to help elderly neighbors and others who need assistance in removing snow are encouraged to do so.  Residents are also asked to check on the welfare of elderly neighbors and those with special needs during the storm – especially if there is a power outage in your area.
As always, it is advisable to have an emergency preparedness kit on hand with some or all of the following items:
Flashlights and batteries in your home and car;
A battery-powered radio or NOAA weather radio to listen for advisories;
Bottled water; 1 gallon per person, per day is advised;
Non-perishable food for the home and car;
A first aid kit.

Carbon Monoxide Risks
It is critical as snow piles up to ensure all outside heating vents are clear of snow.  A blocked vent can lead to carbon monoxide (CO) buildup in the home and CO poisoning.  Prolonged carbon monoxide exposure can be fatal, so it is imperative that vents be cleared as a blocked vent can create the danger of CO poisoning.  The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to flu, but without the fever and may include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness.  If you suspect that you are experiencing CO poisoning, get fresh air immediately.  Leave the home immediately and call your local fire department for assistance from a safe location.
If power is lost and you run a generator, it is important that the generator is outdoors in a well ventilated area; an improperly operated generator can lead to CO poisoning; check your owner’s manual before operating a generator.
Also ensure your generator is installed according to manufacturers’ standards; an improperly installed generator can feed back onto power lines, creating a hazard to line workers.

Travel Safety
If while traveling you get stuck in deep snow, do NOT let your engine idle if your exhaust pipe is buried.  Idling with a buried exhaust pipe also risks carbon monoxide poisoning.  If you suspect that you are experiencing CO poisoning, get fresh air immediately.
Other tips for the road
Check road and weather conditions before leaving.
Avoid traveling unless necessary and always allow yourself extra time to get to your destination.
Make sure your vehicle is in good mechanical condition with snow tires and winter windshield wiper blades.
Watch for and expect changing road conditions, black ice, blowing snow, high winds or whiteout conditions can appear when you least expect them to.
The single most important rule is to drive at a speed that matches the prevailing visibility, traffic and road conditions. The posted speed limits are for dry, clear conditions only.
Be sure to leave yourself plenty of extra room, extend the following distance from other vehicles ahead.
If your car doesn't make it to your destination, pull as far off the road as possible, to minimize any further traffic hazards, and stay in the car. Even a short walk in winter storm conditions can be dangerous.
Carry a cell phone and use 911 in case of an emergency, but do not become over dependant on a cell phone.

Any towns that may need assistance during the storm are encouraged to call Vermont Emergency Management at 800-347-0488.

For more information, the media can call Vermont Emergency Management at 800-347-0488.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #10 : March 07, 2011, 05:38:09 AM »

Issued at: 3:14 AM EST 3/7/11, expires at: 11:00 AM EST 3/7/11

Winter storm warning remains in effect until 1 pm est this afternoon,
A winter storm warning remains in effect until 1 pm est this afternoon.
Locations, central and northern champlain valley as well as parts of northern Vermont.
Hazard types, heavy snow.
Accumulations, 1 to 2 feet.

Timing, snow, heavy at times will continue this morning before slowly tapering off this afternoon.
Impacts, hazardous travel conditions are expected today. Gusty north winds will create areas of blowing and drifting snow along with reduced visibilities.
Winds, north 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
Temperatures, highs in the lower 20s.
Visibilities, below one quarter mile at times.
Please stay tuned to noaa weather radio, your local media, or go to www.weather.gov/burlington for further updates on this weather situation.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #11 : March 07, 2011, 02:35:40 PM »

Issued at: 1:02 PM EST 3/7/11, expires at: 7:00 PM EST 3/7/11

Winter storm warning now in effect until 7 pm est this evening,
The winter storm warning is now in effect until 7 pm est this evening.
Hazard types, heavy snow and blowing snow.
Accumulations, 18 to 28 inches of snow.
Timing, snow, heavy at times will slowly taper off this afternoon.
Impacts, hazardous travel conditions will continue. Gusty north winds will create areas of blowing and drifting snow along with reduced visibilities.
Winds, northwest 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
Temperatures, around 20 degrees.
Visibilities, below one half mile at times.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee

« #12 : March 07, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »

Motorists Urged to Stay off Roads as Cleanup Continues
WATERBURY – Law enforcement and transportation officials continue to urge motorists to stay off Vermont roads if possible.  Snow is still falling in Vermont and travel continues to be hazardous throughout the state and cars and tractor trailer trucks are still sliding off roads throughout the state.  These vehicles are making snow clearing more difficult. 

Vermont State Police also ask those on the roads, particularly tractor trailer drivers to drive with due caution.  VSP also asks those driving tractor trailers to delay trips north of White River Junction on Interstate 89 if at all possible to give plow crews more room to work on roads.

A number of local and state roads remain closed due to flooding or snow.  Motorists should always respect detours and stay off closed roads.

For up to date road conditions, visit www.511vt.com or call 511.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: