Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:46:55 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Maple sap Pails Being Outlawed??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Maple sap Pails Being Outlawed??  ( 10084 )
cedarman
: 370

« : March 01, 2011, 10:15:52 PM »

I recently heard our legislators are considering a law that would ban the use of metal collection pails for anyone making maple syrup for sale.

Does anyone know if this is true?

If it is true, is this legislation based on data of pails causing a problem?
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : March 02, 2011, 04:33:46 AM »

not for personal use just for commercial use and they have to be aluminum ,plastic ,stainless but not galvinized
cedarman

« #2 : March 02, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »

Is the legislation based on DATA (lead, or other metals from galvanized pails found in Maple syrup)? 
I can understand stainless steel being an acceptable collection pail (although cost prohibitive), but I can't understand aluminum being acceptable - especially if the legislation is NOT data based.  Aluminum has been linked with alzheimers, plasticizers in plastics have been linked to a number of developmental/behavioral issues.

I guess my point is, I am looking for information that laws being passed for or against something are fact and data based, and are not passed on unfounded fears that something "might" be a problem.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #3 : March 02, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »

IDK if it is true, but people have been using them for hundreds of years without a problem so far so it sounds pretty stupid to me!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
cedarman

« #4 : March 02, 2011, 11:44:06 AM »

I'm not opposed to changing things that have been done a certain way for hundreds of years.   "that's the way we've always done it" doesn't mean it is right, best, safe, etc. 

I am opposed to implementing/increasing mandates just "because we can", without a sound justification.  The justification does not necessarily have to be based on quantifiable/reproducable data, but it darn sure must be a logical reason and necessary (public health, product safety, etc.)
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #5 : March 02, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »

At this point nothing is passed and people are guessing what will be involved
FletcherGram
: 103

« #6 : March 02, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »

Could be something along the lines of getting the lead out!! They "outlawed" lead in the pans a few years ago.
al brodeur
: 216

« #7 : March 02, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »

what about the gathering tanks and the storage tanks too, or have they been on the no-no list already?
al brodeur
: 216

« #8 : March 02, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »

yikes I omitted the buckets and spouts must be ole-timers
cedarman

« #9 : March 04, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »

If it is to "get the lead out", that is fine, but again, the action should be based on a finding of trace amounts of lead in the final product, not just speculation that it "might" be there.

This comment line was started on the bucket issue, but applies to MANY other issues.  We don't need politicians to continue making more and more and MORE laws just to justify their positions - which in my opinion, is what they are doing when they make laws based on speculation.

Thanks for the feedback C1. I thought you might have some insight.
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #10 : March 04, 2011, 12:39:47 PM »

At this point NO NEW products can be used with any lead . However any products now in use with lead soldier are still allowed to be used. They have been doing testing on syrup for years for lead content, syrup made on english tin pans (lead in metal and lead soldier) do not come back with high lead counts. ALL syrup has some lead in it, it is a natural mineral in the ground everywhere.

As i hear what they are looking at now is that a food product is being made and good practices should be followed. More at the packing house level at this time. In turn packing house's are asking there producers to follow some guidliens to insure a safe product.
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #11 : March 07, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »

My understandind is that this is a recommendation from the Sugarmakers Association and is completely voluntary. I have not seen a bill that would make it mandatory.  I'll check on it when I return to Montpelier tomorrow and will let you know what's going on. I agree if this became law, it would be a disaster for many small Vermont sugarmakers. In the meantime, don't forget to periodically test for lead content of your syrup. There is still quite a bit of   old equipment out there that was sodered with lead at some point. Though the hysteria about lead content in maple is somewhat overdone, sugarmakers statewide should focus on producing the best product possible.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: