Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:35:20 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Grant received at library
« previous next »
: [1]
: Grant received at library  ( 4543 )
Fairfax Librarian
: 870

« : March 01, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »

The library received word yesterday that our grant to improve our DVD collection for children and young adults was funded by the Winnie Belle Learned Fund!

In the next year we will be purchasing films, mainly ones that are based on books.
If you have any suggestions, please feel free to let us know.

About the Winnie Belle Learned Fund -

The Winnie Belle Learned Fund was created in 2007 by Dr. Burnett Rawson in honor of Winnie Belle Learned, a Vermonter, educator, and his benefactress.  Born in 1863 in Westford, Vermont, despite many personal hardships, Ms. Learned received her teaching certificate, and was a teacher and principal in Massachusetts for many years before returning to her native Vermont in 1911where, with a relative, Jennie Burnett, she operated Cherry Hill Farm in Williston.  In 1932, during the Depression, Ms. Learned took notice of Burnett Rawson, a distant relative, and asked his mother’s permission to take him from the family farm in Underhill so that he could study.  Her generosity and vision allowed him to attend the University of Vermont and its medical school. After military service and further medical studies, he practiced urology in New York for many years before retiring to his native Vermont.

Dr. Rawson’s goal for Winnie Belle Learned Fund is to help the small public libraries of Vermont foster literacy, love of learning, critical analysis and intellectual exploration in their communities, particularly among children and their families.
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : March 01, 2011, 05:02:03 PM »

Wonderful news.  I know the diligence and extra effort it takes to apply for Grants of this nature, and assume that this application also required additional time on someone's part. Congratulations for the results and concrete success for all the work you put in to apply for these funds.  Well done.  Good for you, good for BFA , good for Fairfax !!!
Fairfax Librarian
: 870

« #2 : March 02, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Brown!  We are excited about it!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: