Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:03 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Full Day Kindergarten
« previous next »
: Do you support the Board adding Full Day Kindergarten ?
Yes - 23 (54.8%)
No - 13 (31%)
Unsure - 6 (14.3%)
: 41

: 1 [2]
: Full Day Kindergarten  ( 18226 )
Counselor
: 55

« #15 : February 24, 2011, 08:16:17 AM »

I think that this bears repeating.  We willingly pay our ENTERTAINERS millions of dollars.  Albert Pujols reportedly wants upwards of 300 million dollars.  Carl Crawford and Adrien Gonzalez are paid upwards of $250 million combined.  We now pay WAY to much money for date night at the movies, yet we balk at paying teachers and Daycare providers a reasonable wage.  What appreciable skill does an athlete provide his community AFTER their playing days are over??? Virtually none.  They take their/our money and run. 

Teachers, daycare providers etc. work long hours and MANY long years and HOPE to retire with a livable retirement income. Me thinks our priorities are WAY backwards if we feel the need to continue to complain simply about salaries. There are reasonable issues to discuss here, however, salaries are not most significant amongst them (IMHO).
cedarman
: 370

« #16 : February 24, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »

". . . social skills are a big problem for kids that stay at home. Mine had a hard time when they entered school and it was very obvious to the teachers. That is just as big a distraction to the classroom than anything else. That should be obvious to most."

Many home schooled kids are very social. My financee was home schooled (never attended an institutional school - public or private) prior to college.  She (and her home schooled siblings) are all more social and make friends quicker and easier than I do after attending public school my entire life.   Some people are more inclined to be social and fit in socially than others.  I think MOST parents who have the ambition, time and compassion to home school their kids are very conscious of the need for social interactions.  Many involve their kids in community volunteer activities, and other events to ensure time to work on social skills with other kids and adults.

" . .  ONLY option for Fairfax"    ??????  REALLY   ?????    Everyone should be immediatly suspicious anytime someone states that one option is the "ONLY" option.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #17 : February 24, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »

How did going talking about full day kindergarten to about wages and in comparison to entertainers/athletes?  Counselor, I suspect just about everybody in the town of Fairfax could compare their salary to theirs with the same frustration...........

I applaud the teachers & administration for their dedication and work; however I also applaud the town road crew, the local bakery, local stores & businesses, the power crews who work crazy hours to restore power lines, and the list goes on.  We all have our "calling" so to speak in life and it is important not to lose perspective. 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
ohhman
: 469

« #18 : February 24, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »

Yeah ed, if we are lucky we make $3.00 per hour; add on a 2nd child in the family & we get a little over $4.00 per hour......LOTS less than what you charge!!!     :)      plus out of that, take out what we pay for materials like crafts, art, paper products, juice, milk, food, extra water & electricity, let alone the wear & tear on our house...oh yeah & then there's the night classes we have to take to keep up our registrations/license.....yup we are rolling in the dough
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #19 : February 24, 2011, 05:43:15 PM »

i never met you before why do you have it in for me? ,im just saying what other people have told me it costs for daycare it would be better to stay at home and save the money
Counselor
: 55

« #20 : February 24, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »

"How did going talking about full day kindergarten to about wages and in comparison to entertainers/athletes?  Counselor, I suspect just about everybody in the town of Fairfax could compare their salary to theirs with the same frustration..........."

Sorry, I was harried by a predator in the hen house and then "life" just took over and I hit "Post" before completing my thought.  I only wished to point out, in response to Rod/ Ed indicating that Day care providers charge exorbitant fees for their services.  Not to mention numerous posts earlier, in another forum about the money teachers make that our issues should not lie with these individuals and their salaries. It seems to me our salary distribution is way out of whack.  I do not see the people who truly make this world go around, get their due.  In my book, just about anyone who puts in an honest days work, be it fixing my furnace, repairing my roof, taking care of my child, or picking up my trash deserves to be paid more than someone who can hit a ball. Don't know if this clarifies things for you, but needless to say, I do think we agree...

« : February 24, 2011, 09:53:08 PM Counselor »
ohhman

« #21 : February 25, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »

Ed, I certainly do not "have it in for you", but was responding to your previous comment of "saving the headache....keeping kids home...working to pay daycare rates";  sorry I snapped back but sometimes your comments do not come out so kindly & I just fired back.  I have tried to give you some credit, like talking about furnace cleaning, yet you just seem to be a little negative @ times; guess we all do as life is very challenging for everyone of us. I am sorry.
Counselor, I agree with somewhat...except I do not pay entertainers, athletes....  I feel they are way over paid......but so are many of our government leaders to which I have no control over either...I surely didn't vote for the 1 in Washington!
As far as the "K" issue, I just heard where govt officials are trying to make it a law that "k" is offered in every school; again, I think we are over doing it for a full day "k" & that's why I am still voting "NO"!
rod anode

« #22 : February 25, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »

karen i didnt even know you were a daycare provider but i do now, so sorry- but if you had 2 kids in care it could be 500 a week from what i understand ,correct me if im wrong .so most people are gonna want kindergarder for that reason not for educational purposes
ohhman

« #23 : February 25, 2011, 02:41:12 PM »

Ed, thankyou & maybe some places charge more but I currently have 2 here (under 5 yrs) full time, from same family now, potential hours of 7:00am to 5pm & get $225.wk.  I know other rates here in town are higher, maybe some lower.  Burlington rates are higher also.
My son lives @ Cape Cod & has said rates there are about $225 wk for just his daughter;  family in NO. Carolina said 1 place they checked was about $1100. a month;  guess I live in the wrong area, but am happy here just fine.
I agree with you on why some want full K for only the savings in daycare; one forum member had posted that @ the beginning of all this, but removed his post as the heat turned up!
Thanks Ed & have a good day
« : February 25, 2011, 02:42:43 PM 3plusk »
FletcherGram
: 103

« #24 : February 25, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »

Cedarman--Bravo and Thank You
mirjo
: 785

« #25 : March 01, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »

but if you had 2 kids in care it could be 500 a week from what i understand ,correct me if im wrong .so most people are gonna want kindergarder for that reason not for educational purposes

I didn't think it would happen in this century, that we would be in agreement on anything. ;-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
rod anode

« #26 : March 01, 2011, 03:13:06 PM »

now see that wasnt so bad was it?
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: