Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:25 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Pete Fitzgerald's Mother Dies At The Age Of 75
« previous next »
: [1]
: Pete Fitzgerald's Mother Dies At The Age Of 75  ( 4401 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 18, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »

BARBARA M. FITZGERALD

COLCHESTER - Barbara M. Fitzgerald, 75, a longtime resident of Colchester died peacefully on Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 at the Bel-Aire Quality Care Nursing Center in Newport after a long illness. Barbara was born in Groveton, N.H. on Oct. 27, 1935, the daughter of Frederick and Florida (Benoit) McMahon. She was a graduate of Groveton High School and Jeanne Mance School of Nursing. On Aug. 30, 1958, she was married at St. Stephen Catholic Church in Winooski to Hugh C. Fitzgerald, who predeceased her on Feb. 16, 2008. She enjoyed sewing, crafts, and baking, but mostly enjoyed being a devoted wife, mother, and grandmother, and spending time with her family. Barbara is survived by her children, Peter Fitzgerald and his wife, Karen, Mark Fitzgerald, Theresa Fitzgerald and Gary Gilmond, Sr., Matthew Fitzgerald and his wife, Donna, Susan Fitzgerald, and Maggie Schroll and her husband, Karl; her grandchildren, Bob, Pat, Ellen, Margaret, Mary, Chris, Matt, Bethany, Devin, Katie, Ava, and Mina. She is also survived by her sisters, Pauline Sorenson and Sally Adkins and her husband, William; her brother, Paul McMahon and his wife, Joan; special nephews, Larry and Howard Decker; and many nieces, nephews, cousins, extended family and friends. She was predeceased by her parents and extended family members. Barbara's family wishes to gratefully acknowledge Harry Sterling and the Sterling family for their wonderful care and kindness towards Mom and Dad. Visiting hours will be on Monday, Feb. 21, 2011 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the LaVigne Funeral Home, 132 Main St. in Winooski. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated by Rev. Roger L. Charbonneau on Tuesday, Feb. 22 at 11 a.m. at Holy Cross Catholic Church in Colchester. Interment will follow at Holy Cross Cemetery.

Henry Raymond
petefitz
: 96

« #1 : February 26, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »

Thanks to all of you who have shown your love and support over the past 10 days since Mom's passing.  I am posting Mom's eulogy below - I think most of us have some similar family memories. 

Three years ago I was up here telling you of dad’s last valentine’s gift of chocolets spelled out on a piece of paper.  Three years later, Mom has gone home to her valentine.   

Mom grew up in Groveton, NH.  Groveton was a small town back then.  Mom said that she read every book in the library, some of them twice.  She was an avid reader to the end, using her Kindle.  She spoke often of going to the movies on Saturday afternoons for a dime at the local theatre.   

So it was a big step for mom to move from Groveton to the big city of Burlington to go to the Jeanne Mance School of Nursing. 

One of mom’s classmates was Aunt Joan, Dad’s sister.  Mom’s date for a school dance stood her up and Joan knew of an available bachelor who needed to get off the farm.  The rest, as they say, is history.

Mom and Dad got married in 1958.  Once they got married, Grandpa lowered Dad’s salary on the farm from $50 per week to $35 since Mom was working.  A couple of years later, they solved that problem by having me, and Mom’s longest career started. 

She was welcomed into the Fitzgerald family, and was especially close to Grandpa Fitzgerald. 

They started off in an apartment on Mallets Bay Avenue, but after having Mark and Theresa, decided that they needed a home.  So they built the house down at the farm, purchasing an acre of land from the neighboring farm. 

Our memories of the farm revolve around the kitchen.  Aunts and uncles and cousins would gather around that round oak table, that as our family grew to include Matt, Sue, and Maggie, the table grew with 2 different colored leafs.  Mom would make apple and pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and plenty of goulash when us kids and the special nephews were coming in from haying in the summer. 

As we grew up, Mom was a sounding board for us kids.  We could talk to her about our problems and fears and she would be a reassuring and comforting presence.  Whether it was a bump or scrape when we were younger, or problems with spouses or kids as we aged, Mom always listened and reassured us that things would be alright. 

Mom welcomed the new family members we brought in as she had been welcomed by Grandpa.  Her new “kids” joined around that oak table as the family grew.  When the grandkids came along, we expanded to Aunt Corinne’s table and would have two gatherings.  It wasn’t always the “adults” and the “kids” tables, although Dad and Mom kept their spots at the old oak table. 

In their later years, when Dad was so ill, Mom would not venture far from Dad.  Even on the rare occasion where we could convince her to come out without him, she would want to get back home to take care of him. 

The proudest memories I have of Mom are how she handled Dad’s passing and the next two years.  Mom and Dad put in a new well just before Dad passed, and the higher pressure caused the water pipes to break and leak.  Mom arranged for the contractor to come and replace all the pipes for 3 homes and a barn, did all the negotiating, and made all the calls when there were issues. 

After Dad’s passing, she was able to reconnect with her nursing school classmates, who met regularly at local restaurants.  She really looked forward to those get togethers, and was saddened when she was no longer able to meet with the girls because of her illness last year. 

Mom also enjoyed crafts such as knitting, sewing, and plastic canvas.  I never learned how to do those things from Mom, but I sure did enjoy the warm mittens and hats she made us as kids.  Each of the grandkids’ families had a plastic canvas barn set- she has just finished Ava and Mina’s a few weeks ago, and a couple of the animals need to be finished up.  Luckily Theresa learned well from Mom and can finish her work in the next few weeks. 

On Sunday we gathered around the old oak table again to reminisce, laugh, talk and eat.  And I noticed that we had become our parents, and our kids were gathering, talking and eating around the other table, and the cycle continues.  Mom and Dad would be proud. 

So now we gather to bid Mom farewell.  She’s around the heavenly oak table with Dad, Grandpa and Grandma Fitz, Grammie and Grampie Mac, and all the aunts, uncles, and cousins, making sure that there’s plenty to eat and drink, and quietly serving like she has done for all those years. 

Please join us in the church hall after the mass to sit, talk, and eat, and share your memories of Mom, and remember.

I close with a quote from my philosopher nephew, Devin, who three years ago said that Dad was in heaven raking hay and eating apple pie.  This time he said that Grandma’s up there making the apple pie for him.  Eternal Life can’t get much better than that. 

Peter Fitzgerald
Fairfax, VT
Formerflatlander
: 67

« #2 : February 26, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »

Pete, thanks for sharing the memories.  She raised some pretty good kids and it shows up in her grandkids too.  Her love will live on.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : February 27, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »

Pete,

What a wonderful tribute to both your Mom & Dad - Even though I am a generation ahead of you Pete, I too still have great memories of my Mom & Dad and our family which dates back to my Dad's death in 1978 and Mom's death in 1988.  These are memories we will cherish forever.  Maybe we can live up to our parents standards as "The Cycle Of Life Continues".  One thing for sure, we certainly will have some great memories as the years go on.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: